Free large video online storage.

Internetwhizzkid 09:31 29 Apr 2007

Hi,
I have looked all over the place and cannot find the right solution. Does anyone know of any service that will allow me to upload my large videos (up to 800mb) and then download them fully when I need them ( no bandwith restrictions) Even better the ability tto stream them on my mates computer when i go around. I have tried services like streamload etc but there is only 1gb limit a month I want something better.

Can someone help me
Thanks
Ben

MAJ 11:20 29 Apr 2007

There are a lot of online storage solutions that will allow you to do that, Internetwhizzkid. But because of the storage capacity required and the potential bandwidth you'll be using, they wont be cheap. I'm sure that you've found that out already.
Another possible, relatively inexpensive, option, is to set your PC up as a private server, using RealVNC. click here The free version wont do what you want but one of the paid for versions, which allows file transfer, should. You could download the free version to try it out, it works well for what it allows you to do. I haven't tried the paid for version as I haven't needed it.

MAJ 11:41 29 Apr 2007

Of course, that would only solve the problem of streaming/uploading the videos to your mate's PC. The other problem you have of wanting to store the videos online to download later as you require, is quite easy to solve.......... store them on DVD instead.

Stuartli 13:00 29 Apr 2007

Or buy an external hard drive - Staples is selling a 250GB model for £50 at present - although MAJ's idea is sound.

Downloading an 800MB file from the Internet would take quite a while depending on your connection's speed and uploading would be vastly longer.

Stuartli 13:58 29 Apr 2007

If you have QuickTime, you can reduce your video files to H264 High Definition files by using this free utility:

click here

and then burning them to a CD or DVD.

It reduces, for instance, a 1.10MB MPEG2 file to just 188MB very quickly and there is no discernible difference in either picture or sound quality. You will need QuickTime (or QT Alternative/K-Lite Standard Codecs Pace on any other system being used to replay the videos).

See:

click here

There is a page on the Microsoft website about the link with Apple but I can't find it now...:-(

Stuartli 17:59 29 Apr 2007

This has just been released and might be of interest:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone