free firewalls - mcafee or zonealarm

pookie 21:29 19 Mar 2005

Hi

Windows xp home sp2, 3 Ghz barton, asus a7n8x-x mobo, 1 Gb ddr, 550 watt psu, x800 pro graphics and 56k modem – dial up.

I’ve ordered tiscali broadband 1Mb (2Gb cap per month) and as such am thinking of installing a better firewall as i have read that windows xp sp2 firewall is better than nothing but is not great.

I've heard that zonealarm (free version 5.5) is good but i also see that a free full version of mcafee personal firewall plus 5.0 is on cover disk of pc advisor magazine.

do you have any opinions on which is better (bearing in mind both are free).

cheers and have a good weekend

P

byfordr 21:32 19 Mar 2005

I'm currently using zone alarm. However every so often I find it blocks me out of the internet for no reason and the only way I can cure it is by reinstalling or turning it off. When I get around to it I'm going to give mcafee a try...When its working Zone alarm is great.

R

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 21:43 19 Mar 2005

have u thought about sygate personal firewall its free and it DOES work at click here

Jak_1 21:49 19 Mar 2005

I have always used zonealarm without any problems. Window firewall is ok for incoming stuff but useless at preventing outgoing stuff.

Mikè 21:49 19 Mar 2005

I had problems setting Zone Alarm up on a network, Sygate was virtually automatic.

spuds 22:59 19 Mar 2005

I use the well recommended Free ZoneAlarm, but if you want to check on others, try click here

Dipso 23:11 19 Mar 2005

I have used ZA for a number of years now. I configured it to work when sharing my internet connection using ICS and currently am using it to share broadband with a router, 1 PC and a laptop.

Contrary to what people may say, it isn't too hard to uninstall if you don't like it either. The ZA site have full instructions on how to remove completely if required.

pookie 20:19 20 Mar 2005

many thanks guys - as a thought, as there are very good free firewalls does it do any harm/compatibility issues to have 2 installed eg zonealarm and sygate - does this mean twice the protection or does it mean twice the configuration problems?

cheers

P

ton 20:41 20 Mar 2005

Two firewalls - both trying to do the same job at the same time, NOT a good idea.

Technotiger 20:41 20 Mar 2005

Only one Firewall at a time - definate.

dogbreath1 20:43 20 Mar 2005

Don't have two firewalls or two antivirus real time protection applications running in tandem. It's not twice the protection it's twice the conflict!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?