free disk tool? - fat16 to NTFS

zoobie 08:36 25 Apr 2007

Still looking for that small free ap that you click the drive's properties and it allows you to select NTFS. I had it then lost it.

Something changed my D drive to FAT16. I d/l'ed a ton of aps and quickly deleted them all.

Thx

Technotiger 08:59 25 Apr 2007

Hi, to convert, click Start, and point to ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, and then click COMMAND PROMPT. Then to convert the C: drive, for example, to NTFS, type:

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS and hit the ENTER key.

Then re-start computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:08 25 Apr 2007

zoobie
Technotiger is correct it is easy to convert
In your case the command should be:-

D: /FS:NTFS and hit the ENTER key.

zoobie 09:45 25 Apr 2007

I don't want to convert...I want to reset the D disk properties with a little ap I lost.
Thx

Technotiger 10:05 25 Apr 2007

Is it among this lot then ...

click here

Jack Hackett 15:04 25 Apr 2007

If you want to RESET your drive to back NTFS then use the CONVERT command as mentioned earlier.
Canvert/reset, what does the terminology matter, when the end result is the same.

more puzzling is how your NTFS got converted to FAT16, even the convert tool cant do that, its a ONE WAY procedure.

zoobie 03:06 26 Apr 2007

Yes...It's puzzling. The little ap I was looking for was on a Maxtor Maxblast installation disk but it was just coincidence.
I may have just filled the D drive up all the way (250gb) and it's having trubble...or possibly even failing so I removed some data.
Anyway, I noticed when I ran Knoppix Linux and accessed D drive, Windows shows the lable properly again on the reboot.
I'll see how it goes but this thread is moot.
Thx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache