Free Diagnostic Tool for Technologically inept?

Slammerkin 22:57 04 Jan 2014

Are there any free diagnostic tools I could use to work out some of the kinks I have with my laptop? I have a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite; it's been nothing but headaches since I got it. It got to the point that I would reset it to factory settings about once every 6 months just to try to start fresh- which works, but only for awhile.

I'm pst the 6 month mark at the moment, and really don't want to have to go through with the factory reset. But I know there are lot of small issues that causing everything to multiply and compound, but since I know NOTHING about this stuff, I don't even know where to start,

I was hoping there might be a tool that could diagnose issues (like missing drivers, broken stuff, etc.), and then tell me what I need to do to correct them.

I have AVG's free version for antivirus protection, and the laptop has Toshiba stuff that supposedly does this kind of thing, but it's never clear bout what I need to do when I run it, and 99% of the time it suggests I “upgrade” to catch the stuff the free version missed. I don't have the money right now to upgrade though.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated- I just need them to be free, and to be useable by someone with my technical ineptitude. I can follow directions, I just can't draw my own conclusions from one thing, to recognize how or if it may have affected another I need to look at. I'm not looking for spyware, malware, etc., but rather, stuff wrong with the laptop itself.

TIA

nickf 23:31 04 Jan 2014

Firstly download a free program called slimdrivers , this will check your drivers for you . Then go to IObit , download Advanced System Care 7 . As with any free download , ALWAYS opt for the custom install , then you will be able to untick boxes for the crapware that comes with them . The advanced system care , download the free version , then once installed , go to uninstall it . Web page will pop up offering you a free trial of full version for about 3 months . You could also try another free program , called Secunia , this will check for software updates for you . good luck .

spuds 16:12 05 Jan 2014

If you look at something like the MajorGeeks or FileHippo websites, there are usually a range of download diagnostic tools available, some free others shareware. See which one might suit your taste, then come back for more advice.

Don't just download something that you fancy or looks good, and expect it will work absolute wonders for you or your computer/laptop. Ask about, or read up on the product first, otherwise you might end up with further problems if you are not sure what you are doing?.

You won't go far wrong putting CCleaner on your machine and using that?.

Majorgeeks website click here

Nontek 17:00 05 Jan 2014
  Nontek 17:02 05 Jan 2014

Hmm, that did not appear as expected ... type Advanced System Care into the Forums Search facility, you will find very recent warnings re ASC - though I don't use it myself, you may well be interested.

wee eddie 19:50 05 Jan 2014

What do you seek to achieve?

lotvic 23:13 05 Jan 2014

It's where you download the free programs from that adds the 'extras' Watch out for unwanted 'extras' from download.cnet.com

click here and Thread click here

nickf says it best "As with any free download , ALWAYS opt for the custom install , then you will be able to untick boxes for the crapware that comes with them"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?