free cgi search engine script needed

mother inferior 14:38 28 Nov 2003

I need a free cgi search engine script for an online bookshop. I need it to be able to search the website for books by title, author, ISBN or description.

Can anyone recommend a suitable script that could handle this? The website will have 2000+ books on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Taran 15:07 28 Nov 2003

For that volume of books I'd be tempted to suggest that you get a dynamic database set up which would allow desicated cusomter queries based on any parameters you set up - author first name, last name, ISBN, title, keyword or whatever.

Anyway, for possible CGI solutions:

click here

click here

click here

click here

Regards

Taran

Taran 15:08 28 Nov 2003

desicated cusomter queries ?

Well, well, well...

Obviously I meant dedicated customer queries.

;o)

Sorry - slip of the keyboard and I forgot to spellcheck before I posted (again).

T

mother inferior 15:49 28 Nov 2003

can you suggest a tutorial for setting up a dynamic database like that?

Taran 15:56 28 Nov 2003

If you tell me what your web host currently provides - PHP/MySQL or ASP - or if you wanted to be really adventurous you could even use CGI.

Let me know what your web host supports and if possible, could you tell me what you are using to create your website (Dreamweaver, FrontPage etc).

T

mother inferior 17:55 28 Nov 2003

My web host provides PHP and MySQL.

I've been learning a bit of CGI for forms and I'm fairly comfortable with it. I use Namo WebEditor but I use bits of raw HTML for making forms.

I'm keen to learn things :)

Forum Editor 18:20 28 Nov 2003

easily enough - here's a cgi solution that might appeal. I would think that it will handle your book list with no problem at all.

click here

mother inferior 06:56 01 Dec 2003

This looks like just what I'm after.
Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017