free cd writer programme wanted please

eysha 18:11 18 Mar 2010

Hi, i have a vista laptop and miss my old floppy drive as it was so easy to save to floppy disks. Can anyone suggest a free programme that will write to a cd in the same was as the old floppy drive did? I have lots to write up now and need a programme that can do the same as the old floppies but sometimes i can only get a little bit written at a time and programmes like Nero use up a lot of disk space when saving and doesn't really work very well.
Thanks in advance
E.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 18 Mar 2010

You can only use a Re write CD in the same way as a floppy disk and they are not too reliable.

You would be better to forget CDs and use an external drive or a USB pen drive.

jimv7 18:32 18 Mar 2010

right click the files and 'send to' the cd writer, vista has its own writing software, do not finalize the disk.

eysha 18:50 18 Mar 2010

Thanks.
Jimv7 i didn't know that. Please explain. Must it be a cd re-write as said above? does it write over the last file like the floppies did?
Thanks.

eysha 18:55 18 Mar 2010

just tried the 'send to' thing and it doesn't have the option of sending to the cd. I am using word.

Hudson 22:19 18 Mar 2010

It may say 'removable disk'. (Not certain as I use XP.) But a pen drive is more convenient - works just like a huge floppy.

jack 22:24 18 Mar 2010

To have the same rewritability as a floppy you do need a CD-RW
but they have proven to be unreliable for durability.
You can simply write to CD by putting a blank CD in the drive and dragging the files to the CD drive icon on the desk top - Vista will 'hold your hand from there on.
The current best idea is to have an external USB Harddrive.

Hudson 22:29 18 Mar 2010

External hard drive if you want a lot of stuff on one storage medium. But if it's to be like a floppy, I presume you want something relatively small and cheap.

eysha 22:35 18 Mar 2010

cheap is good but i liked the way you used to just click the save button and it saved to floppy the latest version of your text without problems. I find Nero doesn't do that so was looking for a good and very easy way to save data even if i only write a short piece and have to stop. on a cd rewritable i understand that each time you save a new piece it takes up more space so a lot of disk space is wasted unlike floppies - or have i got that wrong?
a cheap usb pen sounds OK but i thought there might be a free programme out there.
Thanks in advance.
E.

DieSse 00:11 19 Mar 2010

"have i got that wrong?"

You've got it correct. But then there is much more space, and eventually you can erase everything and start again (with a CD-R/W).

The only simple way to do what you want is with a USB memory stick - it acts exactly like a giant floppy, and you don't need a program at all - just use it as you would a floppy drive (but you can get loads more on one!)

eysha 18:02 19 Mar 2010

Thanks for all the responses. I think a USB is the way to go.
Kindest regards to all.
E.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017