free av for silver surfer

nickyjane 20:58 25 May 2007

Hi guys, I need a good free and simple to use av and spyware programs for my father in laws pc.He has been running the pc for about 6 months with no protection, mind you he is 86. Thanks

dukeboxhero 21:04 25 May 2007

click here you can get both here

woodchip 21:23 25 May 2007

I use Avast on a Laptop and Desktop both XP click here

Download on the left of the page

birdface 21:41 25 May 2007

I will go along with dukeboxhero and go with AVG for both.You will have to set AVG Anti-Virus so that it does not run at start-up or it will slow him down a bit.

nickyjane 22:03 25 May 2007

Thanks guys

bluto1 22:53 25 May 2007

All of the above are good but after installation check for updates immediately.

phono 23:25 25 May 2007

"You will have to set AVG Anti-Virus so that it does not run at start-up or it will slow him down a bit."

There wouldn't be much point in installing AV software it if it's not set to run in the background.

Totally-braindead 23:31 25 May 2007

Have to agree with phono one of the reasons people on this forum like AVG apart from it working quite well is that it has a fairly low footprint in that it doesn't slow the PC down as much as some other anti virus programs.
Disabling it for me would be asking for trouble as he would have to remember to start it each time before going online.

birdface 23:50 25 May 2007

Well ,It must be nice having good computers,Unfortunately some have to do with what they have,If i run Avg Spyware or Anti-virus it takes up anything from 40% to 95% of psu,So if I want to run another program at the same time everything gets so slow.Now I run my programs when I want to run them does it really matter what time of day that is ,whether morning or night time,

Stuartli 00:30 26 May 2007

Avast! is free, effective and not only updates itself automatically, but also informs you via a message panel and verbally.

phono 01:41 26 May 2007

"Well, It must be nice having good computers, unfortunately some have to do with what they have"

I was not talking about a full system scan, I was referring to simple AV/Malware programs which run in the background and will pick up viral/malware activity.

If you can't be bothered to run such software then you will doubtless reap the benefits of your own decision.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?