Free antivirus

realist 17:47 04 Oct 2008

Just deleted Avast as it's ashWebsv.exe was using up nearly all system resources and causing connection problems.

Tried Avira again but never seem to be able to connect to update server.

That means going back to AVG. Is this recommended?

Would it be better paying for Nod32?

Or just not bother, I can't remember ever getting a virus!

Si_L 17:55 04 Oct 2008

I downloaded AVG Free 8.0 and when I did there was an offer to get the paid for version free by completing an offer with one of their affiliates (this is on the actual AVG site). I got 2 weeks free online DVD rentals, and when I signed up I was given a license number.

realist 18:06 04 Oct 2008

Apologies for mis-posting. Here I was in Speakers' Corner thinking I was in Helproom. It's an age thing you know.

Forum Editor 18:31 04 Oct 2008

and I'll transfer your thread for you.

User-1229748 18:49 04 Oct 2008

i use avira because it's light on resources but i havn't had a problem with updates,i wonder if anyone else has?if i was going to pay it would be nod32 i would use but i would give avira another shot :o)

User-1229748 18:53 04 Oct 2008

what firewall are you using?also i'm not 100% sure but i think avg8 is no lighter on resources than avast.

skidzy 19:06 04 Oct 2008

most certainly worth bothering about !

Clamwin as another option click here

rdave13 19:29 04 Oct 2008

Used Avast for a long time and years ago, after a reformat and re-install of XP have used no other AV.
Wonder if the problem is trying out too many AV's and uninstalling leaves something behind? Just a thought.

Belatucadrus 22:36 04 Oct 2008

click here Rising
click here Comodo.
click here PC Tools

I tend to agree with rdave13, avast! isn't particularly resource heavy under normal circumstances and I'd be wondering why if it was doing it on my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie