Free Anti Virus Software for a Server?

Amethyst75 10:53 05 Jan 2007

Hi

Does anyone know if there's good reliable free anti virus software out there for MS Windows Server 2003? We currently use free AVG but obviously its gonna run out on 15th Jan and wont update as theyve stopped letting servers use it :(

On our network of 4 computers we are using free Norton anti virus via BT Yahoo Broadband protection, I was unsure if this could also be used on the server? or if Norton will also refuse to be put on a server (havent tried as id have to remove AVG first, if it didnt work wed have no anti virus at all on server!).

[email protected] 11:03 05 Jan 2007

i believe the 7.5 version will remain to be free, i have tried to search for a thread i read about this, but cant find it, im sure someone will tell you, but im 99% sure you will still be able to use that version

Amethyst75 11:10 05 Jan 2007

I tried installing the free update via AVG's website but it wouldnt let me and forward me to the business section of the site where you have to pay for software.

morthin 11:25 05 Jan 2007

I have just downloaded the AVG 7.5 issue (free) with no problems, try entering AVG 7.5 in your search engine, it worked for me.

[email protected] 12:26 05 Jan 2007

this is the link i used click here
is this due to it being used for a server?
but of a noob im afraid! it is only free for home use, maybe this is why they're redirecting you, having said that you use it already? confusing!

Amethyst75 12:49 05 Jan 2007

Yep a message flashed up saying I couldnt use it on a server. They have only just changed their policy so used to let servers download it but a lot of people mis-used it according to posts on here.

birdface 13:49 05 Jan 2007

You could try this,click here think this is fairly new,So dont know anyone who has tried it,But Pc Tools has got a very good reputation.

birdface 13:52 05 Jan 2007

try again.click here

Belatucadrus 14:18 05 Jan 2007

Check out Comodo click here , I'm think it can be used on servers

Belatucadrus 17:31 09 Jan 2007

I've tried the PCTools anti virus and while it seems functional enough, it's a real RAM hog and seems to have issues with Firefox, open too many tabs and the whole lot grinds to a halt. Interesting but not ready to take on avast!, AVG or Antivir yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?