free anti-virus software available

BingoBoy 21:47 11 Mar 2015

Currently my laptop is protected by McAfee antivirus software including firewall and anti spyware that came with it when purchased just under a year ago. As it is due to expire shortly can anybody recommend what is the best/most effective free antivirus software and is it a viable alternative to paying for this protection?

On my old XP desk top I used AVG free version but seem to recall that it would take forever on booting up to update. Was that just because it was running on XP? My laptop operates on Windows 8.1.

How do I go about installing free antivirus - uninstall all McAfee software then download? Is it that straight forward?

Belatucadrus 22:08 11 Mar 2015

I have never paid for Anti virus and never had any problems using one of the freebies, that said I'm not into trawling the seamier side of the internet or mass P2P downloading. There are currently loads of free AV progs, many of them submitted to VirusBulletin and other independent testers with good results.

Usual suggestions are :- avast!, AVG, Avira, 360, Bitdeffender & Roboscan

As to sequence of events download the installation file first, disconnect from the internet, install the new package reconnect and update. My current favourite is avast! but they're all pretty good.

Belatucadrus 22:12 11 Mar 2015

Quick correction :-

As to sequence of events download the installation file first, disconnect from the internet, Remove McAfee then install the new package reconnect and update. My current favourite is avast! but they're all pretty good.

robin_x 22:57 11 Mar 2015

I was devoted to Avira for years, but now I prefer Avast.

The rise of Ad-ware/Junkware on Free software is a bit of a problem now. Majorgeeks is relatively clean.

Try Unchecky if you are planning new downloads.

Keep a copy of Malwarebytes Free somewhere and run periodically

(also ADW Cleaner) works well for Junkware

Also see

robin_x 23:01 11 Mar 2015

Windows firewall is fine for almost all situations.

Use Safe browsing which comes with many AVs.

Or go to mywot.com if not.

rdave13 00:25 12 Mar 2015

I will disagree with Belatucadrus as its Win 8.1.

I would first download and run McAfee's uninstaller tool. Instructions here . Then reboot. On rebooting Defender kicks in and will protect you, AV wise and anti malware wise for the time being.

I would install Avast! from FileHippo remembering to use the custom install option so you can untick Google toolbar or some such choices. Let it run the first time scan then update. Don't enable avast! online security in your browser's add-ons as it can create problems. They've never got it right up to now.

If you can find a one-time payment licence key for Malwarebytes pro I'd go for it, otherwise use the freebie version.

As robintheumpteenth , WOT gives a guideline on safe sites so that covers Avast's poorly programed online security. Malwarebytes Malicious Website Protection is excellent but only available in the pro version and works well with WOT.

As for AdwCleaner, Bleepingcomputer , I'd use it as a last resort but worth having in your arsenal but will be out of date within a day or so.

I use Avast! and Malwarebytes pro and the free Malwarebytes Anti-exploit, which I'm not sure about yet, and that's it.

john bunyan 09:01 12 Mar 2015

I agree with rdave 13 and moat of robintheumpteenth and have more or less the same as rdave13. I would add supeantispyware as it finds more tracking cookies, but they are not dangerous. I do have Avira on one laptop. Fine, but slower to update than Avast, which I prefer. Grand children have free AVG - again slow compares with Avast.

john bunyan 09:02 12 Mar 2015

I agree with rdave 13 and moat of robintheumpteenth and have more or less the same as rdave13. I would add supeantispyware as it finds more tracking cookies, but they are not dangerous. I do have Avira on one laptop. Fine, but slower to update than Avast, which I prefer. Grand children have free AVG - again slow compares with Avast.

john bunyan 09:02 12 Mar 2015

Sorry for inadvertent double post

compumac 09:36 12 Mar 2015

Agree with rdave13. You MUST use the McAfee's uninstaller tool to remove the programme and then I suggest running CCleaner to remove any dregs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?