Free Anti Virus Software

Guady 15:48 21 Jun 2006

Can anyone recommend a good, reliable, easy-to-use AntiVirus program, please?
I have used Norton (2002) for a number of years but it has just started to misbehave! I have been trying to get the latest Definitions - as well as setting it to automatically update, I always manually Update as well (I'm a bit obsessed!) But it is telling me that I have the latest definitions but these are dated 14 June which is now a week ago and I can't believe there are no newer ones. My annual Norton sub expires at the beginning of Aug - so I thought I'd try one of the free programs. But advice on which to try would be appreciated. I am still on dial up connection and run Windows XP home.
Many thanks

mattyc_92 15:50 21 Jun 2006

Avast! is good and is very easy to use.... click here
The file is around 10Megs, so you may be there for a while

Can't really help you with Norton, as I can't stand it anymore. Too much of a resource hog, never found viruses that I knew were there, etc...

mattyc_92 15:51 21 Jun 2006

Link to free avast!: click here

BigAl127 15:53 21 Jun 2006

Also worth a look is AVG Free

click here

mattyc_92 15:57 21 Jun 2006

Forgot to say, that "A-Squared" is a good tool to use ontop of whatever Anti-Virus tool you decide to use....

It's 3.5MB click here

AP22 15:59 21 Jun 2006

Worth looking at Microsoft's Windows Defender also.

Allyginger 16:11 21 Jun 2006

Look at this site for downloading Norton Definitions.
click here

Also look at the intelligent updater.It tells you how to use this manually.

medicine hat 16:17 21 Jun 2006

Avast is regularly on the mag's cover disk

Singerz 16:22 21 Jun 2006

Hello

I have been trying to find a way to lock files so you can only open them with a password.

XP does not let you do this but I'm aware there are utilities out there that can do it.

I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction and let me know if there is any free downloadable software that people have experience of using.

Thanks.

Belatucadrus 18:01 21 Jun 2006

click here Plenty of security software here including file encrypters.

PS don't tag onto other peoples threads,start your own. Hijacking is frowned upon, as the original poster gets e-mails advising them when an answer is posted. Not something they'll care to receive when the answer is to your query not theirs.

Fellsider 18:09 21 Jun 2006

^^^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?