FREE Anti Virus with E.Mail scanner ?

Hiall 23:31 18 Nov 2008

Hi,
Are AVG and Avast the only FREE Anti Virus you can get with an E.Mail scanner included.
Running Avg at the moment. But getting fed up with the update manager, connection failed coming up most of the time on the screen when I sign on.
Is Avast ok ? Does it hog your pc and is it any faster than AVG.
Thanks.

provider 2 23:49 18 Nov 2008

A more difficult question to answer than it appears to be. You don`t get AV protection without some use (some would say drain) of resouces though.

Scroll down to Standard Resident Protection for Avast`s version of e-mail scanning:

click here

Belatucadrus 00:42 19 Nov 2008

Rising click here China. Been running it for a few weeks on one of my machines and seems pretty good so far.

Belatucadrus 00:45 19 Nov 2008

Sorry about the error, missed a space and fouled up the url
click here

brundle 00:55 19 Nov 2008

EMail scanning is a waste of time, even Symantec (who came up with it in the first place) admit that;

Symantec;
click here

"Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?

Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this."

The same would apply for any resident AV program.

Additionally, and not that I recommend OE for a moment, but email scanning can have a detrimental effect on OE databases;

click here

Halmer 07:53 19 Nov 2008

Why not keep AVG until the current issue is sorted and disable a couple of the schedule reminders so that it doesn't keep checking.

I have done this and mine's fine now and still checks once a day at a designated time so I no longer get the annoying pop up.

Tools/Advanced Settings/Schedules/Virus Database.../untick Run on Computer start up if ....and Run the update again..........

H

Hiall 11:41 19 Nov 2008

Hi Halmer
Have done what you suggested
( Tools/Advanced Settings/Schedules/Virus Database.../untick Run on Computer start up if ....and Run the update again..........)
But still keep getting annoying pop up when I sign on. (Not everytime)

provider 2 12:14 19 Nov 2008

Some help for you here, perhaps:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires