free anti virus

only me 10:40 30 Oct 2003

Hi peeps
i have tried to load AVG free av on this comp till i get nav 2004 F/ wall& av but it will not recognize the serial number i put in is there a problem with the site i hope you can or suggest a free av i still have Norton 2003 f/ wall but have lost nav and my wife has lent the c/d ROM to my son-in-law

Bally 2k3 11:09 30 Oct 2003

There is only one good one around (AVG). The serial should have been given to you through the email? Is that the was you go it?
It might also be the case, that have you uninstalled Norton av yet?

Belatucadrus 11:10 30 Oct 2003

Alwils avast4 ! click here This has the best results on the Virus Bulletin tests click here for any free anti virus. The scan scheduler is disabled, but you can set it to scan during screensaver, updates are incremental and fully automatic. Highly recommended.
Grisofts AVG 6.0 click here currently has Virus bulletin 100% click here but pass history not as good as avast. Used to be included on PCA cover disks, so is most common option used here, has equally vociferous supporters and detractors. Current commercial version is AVG 7.0. In my opinion 6.0 is beginning to creak a bit, but still a sound product.
H+BEDVs Antivir click here has never passed the Virus bulletin tests click here. No limitations to functionality and has support via Antivir forum. Not the easiest program to set up, with slow scan and large update downloads. Functional but not my first choice.
Softwins Bitdefender 7.0 click here the standard edition has passed the Virus Bulletin 100% click here but this brings me to the problem with Bitdefender free, avast and AVG have some of the advanced scheduling features pruned, inconvenient but not a real problem. Softwin has chosen to disable Bitdefenders On line access, real time scanning feature. This would appear to significantly reduce the level of protection provided and relegates Bitdefender to a low fourth.
Microworlds Free eScan Antivirus toolkit click here an on demand scanner only, but also picks up spyware, dialers keyloggers and other bits, so may be of interest as a backup

telspatch 14:36 30 Oct 2003

Try these serials if its for AVG 6 (free)
AVG-1-2232906-DQU
AVG-1-2192391-MVY
6-XFREE-522613-AVG
Those are the ones I have been emailed over the years, I post them because it depends also on what version you might be running. Hope they help.

only me 10:09 31 Oct 2003

thanks for your help
when i tried to install AVG i got from Google i had E-Mail saying serial was AVG-1-11388549-DII it then told me i had wrong serial i tried different combinations IE:DII,D11 didn't work so i came to you good people but before i got answer my son-in-law turned up with C/D ROM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?