free alternative to Quicken money programme

pookie 20:34 08 Oct 2010

Hi

Windows XP SP3.

I am still using Quicken 2001 for personal use. Are there any free financial software you use and recommend? Just to keep track of monthly bills etc. Quicken 2001 still does the job but after using it for so long I just fancy a change.

Many thanks

P

wiz-king 21:04 08 Oct 2010

Not free but cheap click here

northumbria61 22:15 08 Oct 2010

Moneydance 2010 - NOT free but similar to Quicken.
Can be downloaded for Trial - click here and Review here - click here

northumbria61 22:17 08 Oct 2010

There's a list of FREE one's here but I can't advise on any.- click here

northumbria61 22:19 08 Oct 2010

"Quicken 2001 still does the job but after using it for so long I just fancy a change"

I should have added that I don't think you will find one with the same features to match Quicken. Personally I would stick with the tried and tested unless of course you can download a free trial one and try before "shelling out"

Simsy 01:44 09 Oct 2010

AceMoney click here
and was very pleased with it.

The interface is quite different to Quicken, but in terms of "policing" accounts, (Current, CCard, etc) it works in pretty much an identical way.

I don't used other features, (tax/investments, etc), in Quicken, so I can't compare these.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the "reconciling"... In Quicken you enter the statement closing balance and as items are ticked off the reconcilation balance approaches, and eventually reaches, exactly £0.00... With AceMoney you don't enter a statement closing balance and when you have finished the reconcilation balance should be the same as the statement balance. The arithmetic follows the same principles, but it seems to me that you are more likely to pick up a mistyped, or misread figure with Quicken.

Having said that I've no hesitation in suggesting that you give it a try!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

pookie 23:43 09 Oct 2010

Many thanks for the replies. I shall try some of your trials etc.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires