Frame width

  Ade_1 17:35 23 Mar 2006

Hi, i am wanting to redesign a wbesite with frames on both top and side of page, but i wanted to know how far across the page the top frame goes in dreamweaver so i can create a background image possibly to go in there.
Thanks in advance

  Tabvla 21:19 23 Mar 2006

If the site you are creating is for "friends & family" then by all means use Frames. But if the site is for anything more than that then you should take into account that Frames are not the way to go.

There are a number of reasons for this, the chief being security, but Frames are no longer considered to be an acceptable design technique.

If you want to create a website using good design techniques then you should be looking at using CSS. You use Dreamweaver, which fully supports CSS. Once you have used CSS to design a site you will never want to use any other technique.

  Ade_1 22:33 24 Mar 2006

ok, thanks for the advice,i just thought i would experiment with frames but if it isnt the way to go then i will look into another route. Now onto the CSS thing, well to be honest i dont understand CSS very well. I struggle to understand it unfortunately

  Tabvla 17:20 25 Mar 2006

It is worth learning CSS as this has become the design technique of choice with a vast number of website professionals. CSS will be around for a very long time, so time spent learning it will be well rewarded.

To start......

1. Tutorial on the web. This is a good one... click here

2. In Dreamweaver. Click on Code > Reference > Book > O'REILLY CSS Reference > Style

Don't worry if you find it a struggle at first just come back to this Forum with your questions.

  PurplePenny 22:29 25 Mar 2006

Try this analogy:

Think of your web page as a room in a house which is being designed. So far it has no furniture or decoration and as it is still being designed you don't even know how many walls there are!

You decide that you want four walls, a ceiling, a floor, a sofa, two chairs and a table. This is your HTML.

So you've designed the room and its contents but it is colourless and you don't know what the furniture is going to look like.

You get an interior decorator to put a bit of colour and style into your room. S/he gives you a list of what is to go in:

finish: wall paper;
colour: blue;

finish: matt emulsion;
colour: pale blue;

type: overstuffed;
upholstery: leather;
colour: white;

That list is the CSS! It is what describes the colours, textures and styles of the room and furniture.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone