Fragmented files

paul-790638 08:04 14 Jan 2007

Hi i am a complete beginner as regards computers. I seem to be having problems removing fragmented files from my harddrive. I do regular disk clean up and regular disk fragmentations but seem to have a large block that i cannot remove. Hoping somebody can help a beginner.
Thanks

VoG II 09:08 14 Jan 2007

Try this click here

Stuartli 09:11 14 Jan 2007

The "fixed block" will be system files - you can't remove, or would even want to remove them.

You don't remove fragmented files, merely defragment so that they are restored to their relative positions, hence the term defragmentation.

Stuartli 09:15 14 Jan 2007

Re VoG™'s post - I use to use this recommendation, but went one better with:

click here

Equally as efficient, but also has the benefit of defragging in the background automatically as well if required. It's freeware as well.

The only "problem" I've had with it is that it sometimes prevents XP Pro shutting down as it's running in the background. A quick Ctrl+Alt+Del and shutting it down in Processes solves it.

[email protected] 09:19 14 Jan 2007

i had a similar problem, i think it was vog who gave me the link to that excellent program, i still get a few left on my c drive unless i do it in safe mode, im told this is because windows and av updates firewall activity switch the odd files about.
diskeeper should sort the problem out as the windows defragmenter is a little lacking, also if you arnt already use click here to keep sytem running smooth, perfectly safe and highly recommended on here

[email protected] 09:35 14 Jan 2007

i've looked at that program, doesnt it slow anything down? and does constant defragging shorten the life of the drives at all?
im only asking because i too, as you know am a beginner, thanks

mymate 10:44 14 Jan 2007

I use Iobit,it doesn't slow my computer down at all. You can set it to when you want it to defrag

Stuartli 10:52 14 Jan 2007

As with mymate, it doesn't slow down my computer at all.

However, to be honest, modern hard drives using XP with NTFS formatting don't/shouldn't require defragging as often.

IOBit does a manual Smart Defrag in remarkably quick time, so you could Disable Automatic Smart Defrag.

The Status screen indicates if a defrag would be necessary or desirable.

PhiltheFragger 10:54 14 Jan 2007

Any hard drive clean up operation including defragmentation that stresses the disc carries a small risk that something may go wrong.

a dodgy hard drive with bad sectors may decide that its had enough,

a power cut in the middle of a defrag could end in tears.

What I am trying to say, is that whereas Win9X needed a good defrag every 3 months , XP is nowhere near as frequent.maybe even annually for an average user. a gamer would need to do this more often.

go to defrag in XP , let XP analize the drive and if its OK, then leave it

How many times have you done a defrag and not noticed any visable improvement to your PC.

all you are doing is increasing the chances of something bad happening by unnecessary operations

Fragger

paul-790638 10:57 14 Jan 2007

Hi many thanks for the info. Have used IOBit and has cleaned up alot of files however when checking hrd drive has still left a large cluster of red fragmented files!! should these have been removed when cleaning and if not how does one remoe these many thanks

mymate 11:06 14 Jan 2007

Iobit has a system status,what does it say on that ? Mine says "excellent"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?