Forum improvement suggestions

Thomo1 00:11 04 Jan 2005

I have 1.

I think there should be a little indicator next to the user name to sow whether the user is currently logged into the forum.
Maybe a little red/green light for offline/online.

I think this would be extremely handy when dealing with a thread that needs multiple posts and normally boils down to dealing with 1 persons advice.

Anybody else have any others they would like to share???

JaßîsFaß ˜ 00:21 04 Jan 2005

I don't believe this could easily be achieved, and will probably let the FE reply.

But you may be interested to read this thread -

click here

Thomo1 00:34 04 Jan 2005

ah hah after reading that link i think the FE has already answered the question in one of his replies he said:

"As broadband take-up has risen
we've seen a big increase in the number of members who stay logged in all day (and sometimes all night as well.)"

JaßîsFaß ˜ 00:47 04 Jan 2005

Oh yes, helpful FE as always.

Forum Editor 00:53 04 Jan 2005

there's little point in showing who is online if that particular person has logged in and gone to Tesco's to do the weekly shop.

In addition to that, some people prefer to come and go without the whole world knowing about it, and I can understand their point of view.

pubsinger 01:07 04 Jan 2005

Sorry I don`t agree. Online/offline is easily available. I can believe that people remain online for long periods, but I find it very hard to believe that they remain logged in to this forum all day and night (except maybe an odd one). At what point is a user "timed out" and needs to log in again? That would be the "watershed". Almost every other forum I visit uses a "logged in/online" notification system, and I use lots. Just my opinion, no offense intended.

Smegs 01:51 04 Jan 2005

And what benefit do you get from that??? None!!!
The only benefit, is if you start making friend's, and you start to have a chat while you are on this site, via email.

Why do you want to know who's on line or not??? As long as problems get sorted, what's the problem/point???

The only people that want to know, are the people that want to have something sorted, with an answer. Then their not bothered who answer's their thread if it gets sorted.

ACOLYTE 02:02 04 Jan 2005

I tend to stay logged in a while maybe not all day and night but a good few hours,i just minimise the page and go off wondering,like now 2 am what am i doing should be in bed,lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017