Forum Editor: How does this forum work?

MeV1 16:32 04 Oct 2004

Hi

I was wondering if the Forum Editor could explain how this forum works to me. I am thinking of adding something similar to my site as a little project and was wondering where to start.

I really dont want to go for a pre-made solution as I want the experience of codiing a forum myself. Preffereably in ASP.

Thanks

MeV1

Forum Editor 17:51 04 Oct 2004

and a fair degree of knowledge to code a forum like this one MeV1, and I certainly wouldn't class it as a "little project". Our forum was developed from scratch using various technologies, and it's fairly complex.

The forum pages are created dynamically by software called ColdFusion which runs on one of our servers. When your browser requests a page from our http server the call is passed to the ColdFusion server where the data is retrieved from our databases, put into a page that's constructed on the fly, and returned to the http server for display in your browser.

That's a simplified explanation, but you get the idea. It's pretty involved, ColdFusion contains several elements, one of which is a powerful tag-based web coding language called Cold Fusion Markup Language (CFML). There's also a 32-bit, multi-threaded application server that processes the Cold Fusion templates.

To be honest, unless you are an experienced web developer, and have a need for a complex forum populated by thousands of members accessing very large databases I wouldn't think it's something you want to get involved with. There's a reason why so many people use the 'off the shelf' solutions like Invision Forums - they're extremely good, richly featured, almost infinitely customisable, and inexpensive.

Gaz W 22:55 14 Oct 2004

You can get all the code (PHP), which you can fully customise yourself as far as I'm aware, from click here. I've never tried it, but it might be worth looking into.

Gaz W 22:56 14 Oct 2004

I've seen lots of forums designed using this - it seems to be very popular. I never managed to get it going but I think I was supposed to do something to the code before uploading it!

MeV1 15:37 16 Oct 2004

thankyou

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017