TO THE FORUM EDITOR

keith-236785 08:43 05 Jun 2003

Just recently (last couple of days) a pop up has appeared on top of the forum thread titles, right in the middle of the screen. this is both annoying and frustrating as it will not close even though there is a close button. if this is pcadvisors idea of good advertising then they need some education. most people who come on here do so for/to give advice not to look at adverts from microsoft which after some time cause you to shutdown your browser because the close button has stopped working. this is in my view only going to drive people away from a very good and helpful forum. i have a screenshot if you would like to look at it.

anyone else getting fed up with this? or am i the only one.

-pops- 08:48 05 Jun 2003

I must be missing something. I've not seen these (thank goodness). I'm using Netscape. I believe Opera will filter these things out as well.

Brian

DieSse 08:59 05 Jun 2003

"or am i the only one."

I suspect you're the only one . It closes down for me as soon as I click the close button.

Whether one might question the sanity of an advertiser who pays for this type of pop-up is one thing. I don't even know what it's for, as I never read it, and it's closed before it fully displays -

BUT you have to remember you don't pay anything for the use of this site. PC-Advisor have to make some income from it somehow - and quite rightly too - and advertising is the way they do it. You should really start accepting the slightest tad of inconvenience (which is all this is) in order to have free access to such a great site.

Andsome 09:23 05 Jun 2003

I don't get any pop ups at all, using XP Home. Obviously the website has to be paid for one way or the other. Advertising is a good source of revenue, but irritating adverts do NOT put a good case for a product at all, they merely put people off. Good advertising is that which entices the potential customer to read it. Perhaps PCA's advertising department could point this out to potential advertisers.

graham√ 09:26 05 Jun 2003

The ad has very occasionally failed to close for me. It's a new thing, give'em time! I can live with it.

The Spires 09:47 05 Jun 2003

If it's a big problem click here free pop-up stopper, which should banish the ad?s for ever. My point of view is that the site needs to generate revenue from somewhere as neither servers, bandwidth, nor engineers to run the site are free. Looking at ad's from Microsoft is one way, charging by the visit or a yearly subscription are others of course, I know which I prefer.

In various threads over the last couple of months people have been complaining about pop-ups and the advise has been to use pop-up stoppers. If everything is being advised to use these then what is the point of showing the ads in the first place?

They are very very annoying and like most people I neither read them or click on them. A total waste of time if you ask me.

March Hare 10:12 05 Jun 2003

This advertisement is not appearing on my screen (XP Home).

When there were similar complaints a few months ago about an ad which was obscuring the postings, I was on ME, but did not see it on my screen. I don't use pop-up stoppers, so can't understand why some of us see these ads while others don't.

I have to say that if they did appear over the postings and were impossible to clear, I would move on elsewhere. As has been said above, the purpose of advertisements should be to inform, not annoy.

keith-236785 10:15 05 Jun 2003

to the spires, i am running pop-up stopper pro, this is obviously something embedded into the web site.

The Spires 10:25 05 Jun 2003

There are heaps of sites I go on that have a floating ad appear over the piece I want to read, I put up with them because I get free wallpaper/icons/themes/sounds etc from these sites. A totally unobtrusive advertisement is a waste of time, to be noticed it needs to err on the annoying side, just like the awful long Honda ad that comes on at critical points during my F1 race viewing on ITV. It & others like it keep F1 on free to view TV though. There is really no such thing as a Free Lunch you know.

keith-236785 10:27 05 Jun 2003

DieSse

i have no problem with the site using advertising, its just so in your face in the middle of the screen whats wrong with the sides of the screen.....and why the need to close the ad, to me that is BAD advertising......

put it this way, if i wasnt coming here to try to help others with pc problems, i wouldn`t come here at all now this is happening.

and if i was going to a site to purchase something and this happened i would shut it down instantly and go somewhere else, LOSS OF SALE. I think pc advisor has made a mistake with this (my opinion, which im entitled to and from the replys maybe not just me...)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?