Forum bandwith...

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:17 30 Oct 2006

Maybe FE would be the best person to attempt an answer at this one, but if you know different, please feel free.

I am considering running my forum on my website's bandwidth as I am becoming unhappy with the present situation. What I would like to know is roughly how much extra bandwidth I would be using.

Over three and a half years it's had a million and a quarter visits, and now gets around 1800 a day with around 80 or 90 postings per day with just under 200 members of whom only a small proportion are regular users.

If possible, could anyone make an educated guess at the amount of bandwidth this would use? As I already pay separately for the EZBoard I wondered if it would work out any more expensive adding it to my 1&1 Business account of 25gigs per month.

I have no way of getting accurate usage figures at the moment. Sorry to be so long winded, Whiz...

Forum Editor 00:10 31 Oct 2006

have avatars? If so, are they remotely hosted?

Do you allow image uploads?

By the sound of your membership level and posting rate you should easily cope inside your 25Gb limit. In any case, how much do 1&1 charge for a little extra bandwidth? It's probably not too much for a Gigabyte or so.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:19 31 Oct 2006

They normally host their own avatars and uploaded images. I was hoping you would say the bandwidth would be enough. I think additional usage is very cheap, I will look into it.

I will also have to get the technical side of it sorted, I was thinking PHBB, but I'm not sure about the MySQL side of it, and indeed if 1&1 would allow me to use my db for a forum.

I am just a got bit fed up with EZBoard over time.

Thanks FE, will let you know how it goes (if at all)!

Forum Editor 00:33 31 Oct 2006

once you get used to it. I don't see why you shouldn't use your mySQL database for your forum - if 1&1 didn't allow it I imagine they would lose half their accounts overnight.

Forum Editor 00:34 31 Oct 2006

If you're a tad nervous about handling the PHBB setup (as many people are) they'll do it for you.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:36 31 Oct 2006

but I know they gave a warning about using it to retrieve random ads or pages. Whether they have changed this since growing so big I don't know.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:37 31 Oct 2006

Believe me.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:46 31 Oct 2006

Copied this from the 1 &1control panel:

"Please note that the MySQL database may not under any circumstances be used for log evaluation operations (e.g., ivw), ad clicks, chat systems, banner rotations, or similar applications putting extreme loads on the database."

I have a 6gig account with Web Mania with nothing at all on it that I'd forgotten about. I'll check that out.

powerless 14:02 31 Oct 2006

I have 1&1 and didn't take any notice of that barry. Whilst my forum isn't [the most visited or used] I've never had anyhing of 1&1.

1&1 only allow you to have up to 100MB MySQL DB's so you could run out of space before you runinto any issue.

powerless 14:40 31 Oct 2006

^bandwidth issue.

barryoneoff.co.uk 22:51 31 Oct 2006

I had forgotten about the 100mb limit.

I also found that although Web Mania have doubled my quota to 12 gigs they have restrictions on the db usage too.

Looks like I have no choice but to stay with EZBoard unless anyone else has any ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017