Formulas won't work in excel

oo7juk 12:43 30 Aug 2006

Hi I have a spreadsheet that I use every week, I went to update this morning and for some reason the formulas are not working now. I can see the formula in the cell but they are not working.

silverous 12:55 30 Aug 2006

You'll need to help us out a bit as we can't see your formulas or what you are seeing.

When you say "don't work" do you mean they aren't re-calculating? Or do you get errors?

If they aren't recalculating then try pressing F9 (calculate) and if that solves it look at Tools, Options, Calculation and make sure it is set to automatic.

If you get errors, tell us what you get and what the formulas are.

VoG II 12:57 30 Aug 2006

Tools > Options, View tab. Untick Formulas.

oo7juk 14:36 30 Aug 2006

Thanks guys, the calculation function was not ticked. Why would that happen, would someone physically have to change that? Many thanks again for your help.

avesnes 15:49 30 Aug 2006

oo7juk,
I've had the same oddity occurring intermittently over the last couple of years. Never managed to trace the cause...just ticked the box to reset the auto calc. When I've mentioned the oddity to our techie people, I've received blank looks, shrugging of shoulders and mutterings of "pilot error". I'm using Excel 2003 SP1 and I'm positive that I've never consciously unticked the auto calc box. Just one of those mysteries of modern life, perhaps?

silverous 16:57 30 Aug 2006

I've seen this happen apparently intermittently before. I think it may even be that someone sends you a spreadsheet with the option to autocalculate off, it then changes your default or something like that. Not sure exactly.

Glad it solved it though for a moment I thought Vog's solution sounded more like your problem and glad I learned about that option too !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?