Formula in Excel 2003

Abel 12:34 10 Feb 2007

Doubtless there's a simple answer to this problem, but it's one I'm unable to fathom. In Microsoft Excel 2003, how do you sum non adjoining cells? I've tried, say =A3+A7+etc (which works in Lotus 123) but 'value' is returned in the cell. When I hover the cursor over little box, with an exclamation mark in it, at the side of the cell it says 'A value used in the formula is of the wrong data type',
Thanks in advance for you advice.

Abel

chocolate cake 12:45 10 Feb 2007

=SUM(A3,A7,G4) If this doesn't work you may have to format one or all the cells as numbers as they may be listed as text.

Abel 12:48 10 Feb 2007

It only works Chocolate Cake! It's simple when you know how! Thanks for the very prompt response.

Abel

chocolate cake 12:48 10 Feb 2007

Welcome

silverous 12:49 10 Feb 2007

Sounds like there's something odd with some of the cells you are trying to sum. The formula you've included there should give you the sum of cells a3 plus a7 etc.

Abel 18:53 10 Feb 2007

The strange part about the problem Silverous, is that some cells with the formula I included in my post were not flagged by the system as problematical, whereas others were. However, having used Chocolate Cake's solution, the problems in all cells went away.

Abel

VoG II 19:03 10 Feb 2007

You can always use e.g.

=VALUE(J5)+VALUE(J6)+VALUE(J7)

to ensure that any numbers entered as text are treated as numbers.

Abel 19:09 10 Feb 2007

Thanks VoG™. I think that was the problem; the plus sign was probably being read as text in a number field. Anyhow, all is now OK, but I shall bear your suggestion in mind for the future.

Abel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?