formatting with windows me

lloopyloo28 21:49 14 Feb 2003

Can someone please explain, in simple terms, to a beginner, how to format my hard drive? I am running Windows Me and am having problems trying to set up an internet connection via IE. I am currently using AOL but have been told that it is extremely hard to erase completely and maybe my best bet is to start from scratch...

albert108 22:11 14 Feb 2003

lloopyloo28 ,
You should have been supplied with a recovery disk (CD) with your computer. Also there should be some instructions re booting up with the disk in the drive and pressing a key as the computer starts.It should then give you the option to reformat the drive, and reinstall the operating system. You will lose all data of course.

Philip2 22:14 14 Feb 2003

It is easy to erase AOL go to add and remove click on AOL and delete then reboot then go to search and type AOL two or three files will show select all and delete,you should not have to format your HD.

toxin 22:26 14 Feb 2003

Try click here the homepage appears
click the 'U2' icon,then click 'support' icon. scroll down to 'how to' click, and then you'll find,FDISK click on this and a full explicit set of instructions follow, I know it's for Windows 98, but I think ME should be much the same.

toxin 22:26 14 Feb 2003

Try click here the homepage appears
click the 'U2' icon,then click 'support' icon. scroll down to 'how to' click, and then you'll find,FDISK click on this and a full explicit set of instructions follow, I know it's for Windows 98, but I think ME should be much the same.

BBez 22:53 14 Feb 2003

goto control panel then add/remove programs, click on the "startup disk" tab, insert a blank formatted floppy disk and create boot disk.

With Win_ME CDROM in drive, reboot PC which should bring you to an a:\ prompt on screen.

Type "e:" without quotes to check you can access your CDROM drive (nightmare formatting then realising that your cdrom is inaccessable) (you may have to replace e: with f: if you have more than 1 partition or hard disk in your PC).

Type a: to return to a: drive (floppy disk) then type "format c:" using space and without quotes, or "format c: /q" without quotes for a quick format of the hard drive.

Then change back over to your CDROM drive (e:) and type "setup" without quotes which will reinstall Windaes

kuhbler 04:30 15 Feb 2003

I seem to remember that when you make a startup floppy for ME, it very helpfully doesn't put format.com onto it. Therefore when you need to use it to format your drive, you can't!

You can find format.com in windows/command folder. Just copy and paste it onto your startup disk.

Stokey 11:44 15 Feb 2003

Are you sorted now?

More advice available if required!!

lloopyloo28 18:57 15 Feb 2003

will try tomorrow and let you know! thanks guys!

lloopyloo28 13:31 16 Feb 2003

Thanks guys! All sorted - I know where to come next time I have a problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?