Formatting time for 300gb slave hd

Biker Dave 19:58 20 Mar 2006

Have just installed maxtor diamondmax 10 300gb drive into my pc. Main drive is also maxtor but 40gb. Drive was supplied as OEM so no instructions but have used XP disk management to initialise the disc OK and it tells me its healthy and shows up in My Computer as my F drive which is fine. The slave requires no jumpwe according to the maxtor website but im not sure if the primary requires a different jumper formation? The disc starts to format and shows one green block in the window and then it just seems to hang and not progress. Is this correct or should it format quicker than this?

ed-0 20:46 20 Mar 2006

If it is reported healthy then it should be ready to use. Light green is usually for free space. Dark green is for an extended partition and olive green is for a simple volume.

If a quick format is selected when using the disk wizard. Formating a 300Gb disk should take between 1-2minutes.

You could post a screen shot of it with quickshot from click here

Biker Dave 22:16 20 Mar 2006

Thanks ed-0, that worked a treat. I wasn't using the quick format. Having expected wonderful things from this I am a bit disaappointed. The transfer time for 148mb from my C:hd to the new F:hd is 5mins 4 secs which is only 10 secs quicker than if i transfer from my 5.25" external drive via usb with a speed of 5400rpm. Is this right? I also can hear the drive (actuator assy?) something I've never heard from my existing drive and also though in both cases whwn transfering the above file the pc is working very hard with the mouse almost freezing, is this processor upgrade time?
Cheers

ed-0 23:13 20 Mar 2006

Seems to me to be a quite slow.

Like so many things, it will just run as fast as the slowest component.

Things that can have an effect on transfer speed could be:-

the speed of the hard drive it comes from, cache speed would mean nothing over 16Mb.

the IDE ribbon cable used. 80 wire 40 pin will transfer quicker from drive to drive over 40 wire 40 pin IDE ribbon cable.

Enabling DMA will tranfer data faster. This will bypass the cpu and store data in memory prior to writing to the other hard drive.

Disk fragmentation can also slow down the transfer. If it has to scour the source disk for files. The same can be for the destination disk, if it has to write in fragmented files.

The list goes on.:-(

You could check the speed of you hard drives at pcpitstop. click here

Look at the drives info when the test is finished. A 300Gb maxtor should be tranfering data at about 45Mbps, I think.

Mine does.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?