Formatting Partition Starts Up Internet Connection

Diversion 20:08 13 Oct 2007

Hi everyone
As anyone else experienced this problem, I emptied partition H: to use Ghost to back my C: drive up. To make sure that it was clean I started the Format procedure, it would not let me format the partition and the internet dialler started up on of its own accord which I immediately cancelled.
I had to format the partition in safe mode and restart the computer, although the partition shows 26.3GB when I click on properties it shows that 65.3MB is being used. I have the System Restore turned off on all my partitions with the exception of C: drive, is this 65.3MB the Reserved System Space that is allocated to partition H: I just ask with having the system restore turned off on that partition. And on Diskeeper it does show the reserved system space which shows up as green and white stripes.
I have Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot S/D and Panda Internet Security Platinum. But it looks to me like a Trojan of some kind was hiding on that partition even when I had folder options set to show hidden files there was nothing showing in that partition, does anyone know of any way that I can secure that partition from further infection by means of to gain entry to that partition I can lock it using a password. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Diversion.

johndrew 21:20 13 Oct 2007

I have (actually still running) just fomatted my second drive with nothing like this occurring.

woodchip 21:22 13 Oct 2007

Go into BIOS and Disable the Modem from Starting your Web Connection

woodchip 21:22 13 Oct 2007

Go into BIOS and Disable the Modem from Starting your Web Connection. It will Probably come under Wake on Lan

Diversion 19:27 16 Oct 2007

Thanks for that Woodchip, but I had to do a clean installation. Somehow putting a new sound card into my computer made a mess of the registry, and the dialler kept trying to dial out despite the settings that you suggested and also my computer kept reverting back to the United States on the language bar. That’s why it’s taken me so long to respond to your suggestion, so thanks again. I'll tick the resolved box.

Diversion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?