Formatting an old DELL??

DuncanG 10:36 10 Sep 2005

Morning,

I have begged an old DELL machine from work that was going to be thrown out to give to my mother. I have fitted a new hard drive as the company retains the old one. I am going to install Windows 98SE as its only a Celeron 700 with 196Mb RAM so no point with XP, and she will only surf the net and write some emails so no need for anything more.

My problem: The machine boots with the DELL spalsh screen and wont let me boot from a 98SE boot disk, it keeps asking for the DELL disk.

How do i clear the motherboard of the DELL systems and start totally from fresh??

Ideas??

jack 10:58 10 Sep 2005

This is the problem with large manufactures systems.
They make things so as to run only their way.
In this case they appear tp have incorporated some stuff of its own in the BIOS. -I am not aware of any way to change this. Wait a while some one may have a few ideas- Or E-Mail Dell they may sell you a something
As the reason for for this type of help appears to be ligit.

AndySD 10:59 10 Sep 2005

What is the Model

DuncanG 11:03 10 Sep 2005

It is an Dimension L700cx

smokingbeagle 11:26 10 Sep 2005

It may boot from floppy.
click here

AndySD 11:32 10 Sep 2005
  dan11 12:20 10 Sep 2005

You usually press F2 when the dell logo appears. This should take you to the bios. Set it to boot from cdrom as first option. Check the hard drive is shown in the bios, save settings and exit.

Start with the 98 disk in format and away you go.

Drivers and information that may help now and after the install. click here

If the bios is locked then, there is a certain routine to enter it.

the-george 13:02 10 Sep 2005

Once in the BIOS try setting to default values as this may clear the Dell settings. Could also try removing battery for a few minutes or there should be jumper to allow you to clear the CMOS.

DuncanG 13:09 10 Sep 2005

Cheers for all the feedback guys.

I have entered the BIOS and selected it to boot from the CD, but it then kicks back to DELL option of boot disk...grrrrr

Have tried with a (* boot disk but it rejects that. I think i have to totally clear the BIOS, flash it maybe?

dan11 13:11 10 Sep 2005

with a password or you unable to set the default values.

To clear the bios on most dells, of this age. You must locate the jbat jumper, put it in the clear position, close the case shut and with the power lead connected to the mains but not switched on. You press the power connector on the front of the case for 3 seconds.

take out the power cable, open the case, set the jbat jumper to the run position. Assemble the case and boot up. You should now be able to access the bios.

It works for me.:-)

woodchip 13:15 10 Sep 2005

Download this put it on a floppy, boot comp with floppy the put Win98 CD in comp

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?