Formatting my hard drive + Product Recovery CD-ROM

Hercule Marple 11:26 29 Nov 2009

I only have the one hard drive. I want to format it, and start from scratch with a fresh install of Windows XP Home. I have the original Medion Product Recovery CD-ROM that came bundled with the PC.

Is it just a straightforward case of formatting the hard drive, re-starting the PC, bunging in the Recovery disc, and then updating Windows? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:32 29 Nov 2009

Medion PC
DO NOT use the Product recovery C to restore this CD does not restore to Factory conditions.

Its best to do a factory restore as this will restore the PC and include all the drivers for your equipment.

If you wish to use the Product Recovery CD this contains a OEM version of windows you can install and then you will need to load all the drivers.

sharpamat 11:45 29 Nov 2009

Just to add to Fruit Bat /\0/\ correct reply need to have not deleated your Recovary partion and use your support and application CD

Hercule Marple 12:10 29 Nov 2009

The recovery partition is long gone. Apart from the motherboard and CPU, all the other components are non-original. When the original hard drive started becoming erratic I copied everything over to this hard drive using Seagate software, but I only have the one 'C' partition now.

I want to wipe the HDD completely and start with a fesh Windows install. I have the video card and sound card drivers ready and waiting on an USB flash memory thingie. Are there any other drivers I actually need to install manually?

Hercule Marple 12:17 29 Nov 2009

The recovery partition is long gone. Apart from the motherboard and CPU, all the other components are non-original. When the original hard drive started becoming erratic I copied everything over to this hard drive using Seagate software, but I only have the one 'C' partition now.

I want to wipe the HDD completely and start with a fesh Windows install. I have the video card and sound card drivers ready and waiting on an USB flash memory thingie. Are there any other drivers I actually need to install manually?

Hercule Marple 12:17 29 Nov 2009

Oops! Sorry about that. Distracted by smell of roasting beef.

sharpamat 19:55 29 Nov 2009

If you still have your application and supprot CD you should have the drivers and programs on that[
You will be able to download all the drivers from Medions website

woodchip 20:17 29 Nov 2009

With Medion You just start with CD in drive the choose from list how you want to recover. Full Wipes the old by overwriting it. back to how you got the pc I have two Medions and its easy to do

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:54 29 Nov 2009

Ok so its a new drive Just set the BIOS to Boot the CD as first boot device and start the PC with the CD in the drive and follow the prompts format the partition and to setup XP.

Once XP is loaded load the drivers and then your antivirus and spyware then Download and install the XP updates.

woodchip 23:18 29 Nov 2009

Its a Medion Recovery CD not a OEM. he only needs to start with the CD in the Drive. Also check the Medion Manual on Recovery Options

Hercule Marple 10:53 30 Nov 2009

I've had a thought (I don't get many of these)..... I was thinking I might just buy a new HDD. I could remove the present one, with it's contents intact, and keep it in storage in case the new one concks out. Then I could plug in the new one and install XP afresh onto that.

It has to an IDE HDD, and there don't seem to be that many about now. Think I'll have a wander along to Maplin and PC World this afternoon, and see what they have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?