Formatting a Memory Stick

s99Raj 18:25 15 Dec 2009

I have a 1 GB USB Memory Stick.
When I plug it in, I see it as a 930 MB Hard Drive plus another labelled MYCD_VOL(H:).

I'd like to delete this H: drive.
Any ideas how please?
Thank you.

ambra4 18:54 15 Dec 2009

Just right click on the drive in my computer an click - Format

s99Raj 18:56 15 Dec 2009

That was the most obvious thing to try but it doesn't work.

I've also gone into Disk Management to format it but the unwanted "partition" is still there.

gary2112 18:56 15 Dec 2009

plug the usb stick into your computer
wait till it loads the drivers so you can see the drive then go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools then click on computer managment then storage click your usb drive it will be the smallest in size .then you wil see 2 partions right click on the smaller of the 2 and click remove partion ,then go back to your deaktop write click on the usb drive and click fast format then you will be able to see the full 1 gig stick .

s99Raj 18:59 15 Dec 2009

The "Delete Partition" for the H: drive is greyed out in Disk Management.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 15 Dec 2009

how to remove the CDFS partition & reformat it.
Download this click here,
do a virus scan then run umptool2090.exe, click "settings", tick "need format"
then click the button 2nd from the right at the bottom of the form (the form isn't sized properly as I could only see the top few pixels of the buttons so just tab until you get the correct button).
The settings form will close and the scan mode will show as "high level scan format".
Click the button that displays the drive letter & you should now have a clean drive with 1 partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone