formatting laptop after virus

ghostdog 22:47 03 Apr 2006

hi people, my laptop got a virus and buggered up so i put the recovery disk in and nothing. it required me to boot up from disk but then requested i format the c: drive partition. i tried a quick format but it said it couldnt complete because the drive was either, corrupt or not formatted. so on friday i was going away and left it on a full format, i returned today to find only 16% finshed. is this normal? i thought it had crashed and decided to start again so off i went retried and its been 6 hours and 0% so far. please please help me!! (xp edition of windows)

Madpad_001 05:55 04 Apr 2006

It is possible that you have a few bad sectors on your drive.(I had a 40 gig drive and it took 3 days to format.)

RobCharles1981 11:50 04 Apr 2006

People have been talking on the forums about killdisk which kills the harddrive so that your left with a totaly blank harddrive why don't you try that?

ghostdog 13:26 04 Apr 2006

Its a 60gb drive so maybe your rightthere MADPAD, as for this kill disk ROB how would i go about getting it and also putting it onto the computer. im at 5% now 2 days later, im crying i miss my baby ha ha. cheers fellas

remind 13:29 04 Apr 2006

perhaps something is up with the drive - if you know the manufacturer, download a diagnostic from the relevant website, burn it to cd on another pc, boot your laptop from it and run the tests
powermax for maxtor
seatools for seagate/quantum
etc etc click here=

ghostdog 16:48 04 Apr 2006

Hoofin, hard drive mechanic solved the situation, its much appriciated for all your help guys, i hope to return the favour one day.

many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone