formatting but keeping certain files

Tree3 15:40 29 Jan 2004

i want to format my computer w ith windows 95 and reinstall windows on it but it has no cd drive and i have only got windows 95 on cd and would like to ncopy the files from the cd using a link from another computer up to this computer and when i format it i want to be able to keep the files i copied from the windows 95cd onto the computer. i was wondering if ity could be done if so could you say or if there is a website on how to do it with the commanbd in DOS could you write it down,

cheers

ventanas 15:43 29 Jan 2004

Could be done with a null modem cable connected via the serial ports, but it's slow.

Tree3 15:47 29 Jan 2004

i know i canb connbect it to ther computer but i want to copy the files while i still have windows 95 on there and then wen i format it the files still stay there and the others go so i can install windows 95 on there again
is there as way which it can be done??

ventanas 15:49 29 Jan 2004

Sorry didn't read properly. When you format you will lose everything. So until you have windows back you will not be able to see the CD in the other machine. So forget what I said.

Why not fit a cd drive. They cost next to nothing now.

Tree3 15:53 29 Jan 2004

its a laptop that i got conectted to the computer which has a cd drive the laptop has windows 95 on it and i wont need a drivce because the laptop has being sold and i need to install windows 95 for them to have a fresh start using it

R4 16:20 29 Jan 2004

You could create another partion say 'D:' on the Hard drive and copy the files to that then format only the C: drive. Then install Windows from the copied files on D:

Tree3 18:33 29 Jan 2004

sorted it out now
cheers for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone