Formatting HDD - reinstall windows XP

Ally 21:46 09 Jan 2007

My laptop HDD needs formatting. If I format by reinstalling Window XP. Will I loose all the updates I've downloaded from Microsoft over the years?

Thanks, Alley

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:50 09 Jan 2007

Yes but you could download autopatcher click here and all the updates will be fairly quick. You could also do what I do and reinstall and make sure your AV and antispy are up to date and let MS download the updates. I have never had a problem this way. This assumes that you have a BB connection.

G

Ally 22:00 09 Jan 2007

Thanks GANDALF before I look can you explain how autopatcher works please?

Alley

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:12 09 Jan 2007

It is basically a collection of all the MS updates in one package. It usually installs quicker than the updates and is handy to keep on a disc for use. Downloading and installing the updates from MS should take about an hour or so. Either way is OK but Autopatcher can be downloaded and you can update without being connected.

G

wee eddie 23:39 09 Jan 2007

Do you actually have a full copy of Windows?

Strawballs 00:24 10 Jan 2007

Why do you need to formatt? if you could do a repair install click here you would not loose any data.

If you have IE7 then click here

Ally 20:20 10 Jan 2007

Thanks Gandalf much appreciated. I will keep this option open.

Wee Eddie - Why do you ask if I've got a full copy if windows?

Strawballs. Again thanks but all the tarting about with uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling puts me off, I'm not much of a computer boffin so I would rather take an easier option. Nevertheless I will I will still consider it.

Alley

wee eddie 20:48 10 Jan 2007

If you Format your HDD and then try to reinstall from most manufacturers disks you're in trouble.

You do have a full copy of Windows then.

Ally 20:58 10 Jan 2007

Wee Eddie. Yes thanks I do. I used it to format my kids desk top. I then had 58 updates download automatically to bring it up to date.

johnem 21:27 10 Jan 2007

Thanks GANDALF <|:-)> for the info on Autopatcher.

wee eddie 23:20 10 Jan 2007

You know that you can only use your copy of Windows on 1 Computer. Read your EULA.

To install it on 2 is illegal and 1 of them will never be able to install updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?