Formatting a hard drive with XP installed

Paul-339409 23:40 04 Apr 2004

Having upgraded my PC I want to format the hard drive of my old one before selling to wipe any reference to Internet banking details and credit card numbers but XP tells me I can't.

Is there a way which overcomes this so I can re-install XP after formatting

Indigo 1 23:45 04 Apr 2004

You won't be able to format the drive you are using from within Windows.

Download the XP boot floppy files from click here;en-us;Q310994 this will enable you to start a fresh installation of XP and will allow formatting of the HDD.

beeuuem 23:45 04 Apr 2004

This tutorial may help click here

Indigo 1 23:48 04 Apr 2004

Alternatively, install the old HDD into the new machine (set it as Slave) and use the new machine to format it, My Computer/right click on the slave drive and select format. You can then format as many times as you like to be sure any sensitve files are completley erased, 10 times is more than enough.

Djohn 23:52 04 Apr 2004

click here Follow this guide for a clean install of XP.

Set your CD drive as first boot drive insert the CD and after XP has gone through the initial setup routine it will recognise the fact there is already a copy on the drive, follow the instructions as for a normal install. XP will ask you what you want to do. Choose format and install.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:58 04 Apr 2004

If you have the cd you can use that to format the hd set the cd as first boot device and boot from cd then delete the partition with xp on then format and reinstall.

Regards

lamda 10:27 05 Apr 2004

into my postings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?