Formatting Hard Drive

Quinlan 15:52 05 Feb 2008

I have a Compaq Presario Computer (2002) with Windows XP installed. It is a back-up computer so I am prepared to experiment!
I have had to uninstall & restore the software so many times due to various software conflicts and so many, 'computer freezes' error messages without solutions, Service Packs that are rejected as 'bad' when they are not, I am thinking of reverting back to Windows 98 which was error free.

I have been told that if I use 'Partition Magic' it will effectively format my C:/ drive & enable me to install Windows 98.

Can anyone confirm that is will work or not?

Regards

rossgolf 15:59 05 Feb 2008

it will format your c:/ but it will delete xp
why dont you partition it and install onto the empty partition

xania 16:00 05 Feb 2008

What you will do is delete the partition and re-create it. If you have Partition Magic, then fine, but there are free equivalents out there and, for Win 98 you can also use FDisk from the boot floppy.

Press Man 16:11 05 Feb 2008

Why not just re install XP with all updates, SP2 etc. This may solve your apparent conflicts! If you do this be sure to have your AV and Firewall installed before going on the net.

Quinlan 17:07 05 Feb 2008

Many thanks for your help.
I have just ordered Partition Magic 8 - it only cost c €10 so this not an issue. I have both Windows XP and Windows 98 disks so I could revert back if It does not work.

Hi Press Man,
I have uninstalled & re-installed all the software about twenty times recently(using the Restore Disks supplied with my Compaq). The problem is that I my SP1 and SP2 disks (both in good condition) also both copies of these SP disks also rejected partway through installation. When I try to download updates I get 87 updates of which 5 or 6 fail to install. The rest of my software (Norton 360, MS Office etc are relatively new and, according to the blurb, all are supposed to be compatable with Windows XP.
Thanks anyway.

Stuartli 17:31 05 Feb 2008

SP2 includes SP1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?