Formatting Hard Drive

Ex plorer 13:38 19 Oct 2005

Hi I have an Old Dell Optiplex GX1 the hard drive has been wiped and it needs formatting how do I go about this.
Kill disk has been used on it.
I have Windows 95 on diskettes, which I want to use.

Ex

keith-236785 13:44 19 Oct 2005

you need a windows95 startup disk, click here download, put a blank floppy in the drive, double click the downloaded file it will write a floppy startup disk for you.

use the startup floppy, at the menu choose start without cdrom support

once at the prompt A:> type

format c:

once done, take out the startup floppy, put in disk one of win95 and type A:/setup (might be A:\ setup) cant remember now

or just type A:

then setup

that will start the install of win95.

good luck

DieSse 14:05 19 Oct 2005

Before you format, you'll have to run fdisk to set up a partition.

Ex plorer 14:44 19 Oct 2005

All I have is missing operating system on screen.
I have had a look in the BIOS and its set to boot from a drive first which is what I want but how do I get to type Fdisk at the prompt I have done this before but cant remember.
The hard drive may be done and need replacing.

keith-236785 15:06 19 Oct 2005

boot with the startup floppy and when you get to the prompt A:>, type

fdisk

that should take you into the fdisk menu, or just type

format c:

my earlier post was incorrect as the win95 startup does not give you a menu, it simply takes you to the prompt A:>

apologies for this, i am used to using a win98 startup disk.

keith-236785 15:09 19 Oct 2005

oh, just reread, you will need to set the bios to read floppy drive first.....

missed that one lol

without setting it to read floppy first, it will just continue giving you the missing operating system message

keith-236785 15:48 19 Oct 2005

oh, just reread, you will need to set the bios to read floppy drive first.....

missed that one lol

without setting it to read floppy first, it will just continue giving you the missing operating system message

Ex plorer 17:51 20 Oct 2005

Ok back at fdisk i tried the lot there is nothing on the drive its only 6.4 Gig.
cant delete as there is nothing to delete on it .
As i said before I want to load 95 from Floppys so how do i partition it and do I need Dos and if so where I can I get a free download. I can buy it but I thought That Dos would be a freebe.
this is what I have on screen.
Partion (C:1) Status (A). TYPE (PRI DOS). (No Voume Label). Mbytes (10). System Unknowen. Usage%. Status A its not reading the floppy is it?
I have windows 95 on cd but its a upgrade must have been from way back what was before 95 that.

Ex

DieSse 17:58 20 Oct 2005

It's already partitioned from the look of the message. If Killdisk has been used, you (or someone) must have already done the partitioning.

Your CD - is it an upgrade from Win3.1? - What does it say on the CD?

Ex plorer 19:10 20 Oct 2005

Hi ok it just says MS Windows 95 Upgrade on the book cover and sleeve its even got a Reg number with it.It belonged one of me sons years ago. I wasnt intrested in PCs then.

dazzling (work) 19:25 20 Oct 2005

if your copy of win 95 is an upgrade it will want at least the serial number from the previous version of windows.you will probably have to get this before you can install win 95.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?