Formatting a Flash Drive

s99Raj 18:29 05 Oct 2009

I have a 1 GB flash drive I wish to format.
When I insert it into the USB port, it comes up in "My Computer" as two separate icons.

One icon is as I would expect, but the other icon is as a disk drive. How can I get rid of the disk drive icon and format the whole thing as one drive with one drive letter?

Sea Urchin 18:35 05 Oct 2009

This might give you some clues

click here

s99Raj 19:00 05 Oct 2009

Nope - sorry.
That didn't work.
I've tried Disk Management and the HP USB Format Tool but neither have solved the problem.

rawprawn 19:22 05 Oct 2009

Try going into Control Panel> Admin Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management and format from there.

s99Raj 19:24 05 Oct 2009

That's what I just did, rawprawn.
It doesn't format the entire drive, and deleting the unwanted partition is greyed out.

s99Raj 19:26 05 Oct 2009

By the way, the unwanted partition comes up as a CD-ROM drive, not as a hard drive.

rawprawn 19:59 05 Oct 2009

Have a look at this,Open up your device manager (from control panel) select cd/dvd drives, and then right click the virtual drive that you are having problems with and select unistall then reboot.

s99Raj 20:04 05 Oct 2009

Nope - it's still there!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 05 Oct 2009

how to remove the CDFS partition & reformat it.

Download this click here,
do a virus scan then run umptool2090.exe, click "settings", tick "need format"
then click the button 2nd from the right at the bottom of the form (the form isn't sized properly as I could only see the top few pixels of the buttons so just tab until you get the correct button).
The settings form will close and the scan mode will show as "high level scan format".
Click the button that displays the drive letter & you should now have a clean drive with 1 partition.

s99Raj 20:57 05 Oct 2009

What's the button "2nd from the right at the bottom of the form" labelled?

I don't really know which one you mean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?