Formatting External HDD to FAT32 on Win98

Taff™ 12:38 29 Jun 2006

I`ve just acquired an 80GB external USB Hard Disk Drive which I want to use on Win98 machines. I`ve loaded the supplied driver but the device isn`t recognised. I think that`s something to do with it being over 37Mb.

Where do I go next???

terryf 12:43 29 Jun 2006

Try a google with the title of this thread

Taff™ 13:15 29 Jun 2006

I already did that and I`m looking for a recommendation really. Google produced so many different suggestions and I suspect I need a third party program to do it.

MAJ 13:25 29 Jun 2006

Have you checked that the hard drive isn't formatted as NTFS? Win98 would not recognise it if that was the case.

Taff™ 13:37 29 Jun 2006

I attached it to an XP machine and initialised it but didn`t format it because NTFS is the only option.

MAJ 13:47 29 Jun 2006

Have you tried the drive's manufacturer's website for their free utility which will help you set up the disk, that utility should let you format it as FAT32.

mgmcc 15:44 29 Jun 2006

If you boot with a Windows 98 "boot floppy" can you access the external drive? Many computers can now access USB drives without the Windows USB drivers having to be loaded first.

If so, you could use FDISK 1.2.1 (which supports drives larger than 64GB) click here to partition it and then format it as FAT32 in DOS.

XP cannot format a drive larger than 32GB as FAT32, which is why you only had the option to format as NTFS, although it can *use* a FAT32 drive larger than 32GB.

Taff™ 06:35 01 Jul 2006

MAJ - I`ve downloaded Maxtor`s Maxblast4 which may work. Thanks for the suggestion.

mgmcc - I used a boot floppy to format the main PC`s HDD but didn`t seem to be able to find the external disk. It was originally a Win 98 machine and probably won`t see the drive but I`ll grab the Fdisk program and try it.

I`m away for the weekend so I`ll come back to you early next week - thanks both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone