formatting c drive and reinstalling xp from hard

ger28 23:05 02 Mar 2009

hi, can someone plese tell me how to a) format drive c and b) how to reinstall operating system xp from secondary drive and how to find same on this drive
thanks

Graham. 23:09 02 Mar 2009

You have XP on 'C', and a copy on another drive. Is this copy a back-up?

woodchip 23:10 02 Mar 2009

If you format the Drive and do not Have a Full XP CD then you are up a Gum Tree. and will need to go buy a Operating system CD and Key. On the Other Hand if its got a Restore Partition you may be able to reinstall to Factory Setup, You may need a Restore CD for this to work

woodchip 23:12 02 Mar 2009

XP will not Work if The other Drive as been loaded into another Computer to run on that Computer, As all the Hardware is Different

CalmCookie 23:29 02 Mar 2009

ger28
Did your Pc come with 1 hard drive partitioned into 2 drives with Windows XP backup installed in the 2nd drive and you were not given any CDs to reinstall?

If so then I think what you are asking is how to do a Factory System Reinstall.

Please can you give some details of the make and model of your PC, then you will get plenty of advice...hopefully mostly correct

:o)

Graham. 23:57 02 Mar 2009

bed?

Graham. 09:09 03 Mar 2009

'graham, i'm at work, system came with 2 drives from dell, its actually at home so ill have to get model and other dettails tomorrow. no disks .thanks for help'

ger28, please respond in the thread, not by email.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?