formatting 2nd HDD under W2K ntfs

krypt1c 22:29 13 Aug 2003

Hi everyone - I'm thinking of adding a 2nd HDD but I'm not sure how to go about formatting it as I am running W2K with NTFS. For FAT fs I'd just boot up using a start up disc, and format it under dos. Can any one help - K

Ken Ju-On 22:35 13 Aug 2003

Boot with the Windows 2000 CD, and it'll at one point ask you where to make partitions and install, and the file system to format. I've never done it with two hard disks so sorry if my explanation wasn't enough! But booting with the Windows 2000 CD will prompt you to configure the installation. :)

woodchip 22:39 13 Aug 2003

Add the disc open Windows Explorer if you can see the drive just right click on it and choose format

temp003 04:40 14 Aug 2003

You can do it within w2k, after connecting it and checking that it's detected in BIOS. Use woodchip's method if you see a drive in My Computer. If not, or if you want more functions, use Disk Management.

Right click My Computer, Manage, then in the snap-in that appears, select Disk management under Storage. Or go directly to Disk Management: Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

Your 2nd hdd will be disk1, in the lower half. If the disk is already partitioned and the partition is too big for you, right click the partition area and choose to delete it.

When there are no partitions at all on the disk, the area will be called "unpartitioned space". Right click the area and you can create partitions.

If you choose to create a primary partition, you'll be asked for the size, then to choose file system for formatting.

If you choose extended partition, you'll be asked for size, and the partition will be created immediately. Right click the new extended partition area in the graphical interface, and select create a new logical drive, after which you'll be prompted for size and formatting.

During formatting (you'll be back in the graphical interface), wait patiently because you may not notice it's happening. You can see the percentage of formatting within the new partition which is being formatted.

If you think you might, in future, put an OS on the new hard disk, and boot from that disk, create one primary partition now (although it can still be sorted later, so not a must), and use the rest for an extended partition, then create logical drives within the extended partition.

krypt1c 22:51 15 Aug 2003

Thanks everone. I'll be fitting the 2nd HDD sometime next week. I'll let you know how things went. lol K

krypt1c 18:41 19 Aug 2003

Hi again. Fitted 2nd HDD. It was detected OK by WK, and showed up in device manager. When I tried temp003 suggestion there was no option to format. Then had the bright (for me) Idea of trying Partion Magic 5. It won't install under W2K, but does create 2 floppies that will. A boot disc & an application disc. So booted from disc1 and created partition with application disc. Thanks for all the suggestions - K ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires