Formatting

Den R 17:44 22 Mar 2006

Operating system XP Home SP2 with Athlon 2200+.
I received the very unwelcomed ‘blue screen of death’ and found it necessary to replace the HD. I now have the new HD up and running as C drive – having lost all the data of course. I would like to use the old HD as a slave with two partitions.
Questions:
1. Is it possible, in any way, to retrieve any data from the old ‘blue’ HD?
2. How do I go about formatting the old ‘blue’ HD with one partition and the other partition with Windows Me on it as I have some non-XP software I would like to use.
Both HD’s are 80GB Seagate Barracuda’s – jumpering wise.
Any suggestions from you savvy computer people how to go about it would be appreciated.

rawprawn 17:51 22 Mar 2006

click here for recovery,Install your old HD as slave and use this program, but I am not sure what your second question means.

Den R 18:01 22 Mar 2006

rawprawn
The second question means - I would like to run two operating systems on the old HD - XP and Me. Sorry about the confusion.

rawprawn 18:27 22 Mar 2006

Sorry I am not into dual booting, but click here and see if this helps. If not I am sure someone will point you in the right direction. Good luck.

rawprawn 19:03 22 Mar 2006

click here Sorry about that!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 22 Mar 2006

The easiest way to multi boot is to install XP on to a separate partition in a PC that is already running an older operating system. click here

Very difficult to install another op system with XP as always give error "system is older than one already installed, so you need a boot "magic" program
click here

Den R 08:13 23 Mar 2006

Thanks for the suggestions rawprawn and Fruit Bat. Sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?