Formatted and now have some stupid problems...

lothlann 08:57 05 Feb 2007

These are very trivial but annoying problems and i will probably find more later so i will end up adding more to this.

Firstly, the default when i double click a drive is to search not to open. How can i change this to open?

Next, even though i set my location up as Uk when installig the keyboard is still US, i.e. @ and " are the wrong way round to what is set on my keyboard. How can i change this back?

Thanks

Probabilitydrive 09:12 05 Feb 2007

To change the keyboard setting:
Start>control panel>Regional and language options>on the tab:change "regional options" to English (UK)> on the "Language" tab: click on >Detail and choose under "Settings" English (UK)". Click Apply and OK.

Your keyboard should now type the requred changes.

Probabilitydrive 09:13 05 Feb 2007

requred = required

Ho-Lin-Sok 09:28 05 Feb 2007

LEFT ALT plus SHIFT will enable you to select either US or UK.
If you want to open your C: drive expanded, create a new shortcut on your desktop and type in:
explorer /e,C:\ then insert an icon(I have used the default explorer icon)when finished. I hope this cures your problem it is also handy as the drive opens expanded, you can use other letters in case the drive is not C:

keef66 09:35 05 Feb 2007

In windows explorer, tools / folder options, select double click to open...

lothlann 23:03 13 Feb 2007

Double click to open is already selected.

The problem is i do double click yet the default action is to search for all drives whereas it should be open. I tried to go to folder options/file types chose drives and clicked advanced, it has find a sthe default and i tried to add open but i need to specify a program to carry out the task. What would i specify to open?

I tried lookign at the coomands for folder which has explroe and open listed but when i tried to look at how open was set up the edit button is greyed out so i cant see :(

Anyone know?

Thanks

birdface 23:18 13 Feb 2007

To fix your @ .click here

lothlann 20:14 14 Feb 2007

I fixed my keyboard thanks. The only problem is my annoying drive default action.

Technotiger 20:41 14 Feb 2007

To change default setting ...

click here

lothlann 16:43 26 Feb 2007

I still cant change the default action, its not what was linked above. Even when i insert a USB drive the thing it does first is search it. If i right click on a drive the bold text says search not open which is what i want.

PalaeoBill 16:59 26 Feb 2007

To fix the drive default action. Click Start>Run> and type in:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

This will fix the registy and stop your problem.

If you don't trust me, and I wouldn't blame you, and you want to do the fix manually.
Run regedit
find the key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\Shell
and change the default value to 'none'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?