Formatted HDD holding the OS

Forbsey 09:58 29 Mar 2017

Ok. So I turned my PC on for the first time in a long time and realised that my drivers were no longer compatible with windows 7 so I upgraded, during the upgrade I was caught in a restart loop so i put an imaging file onto a USB to boot it up that way but I was silk caught in the loop, in my frustration I formatted my HDD from the 'custom installation' 'menu and now I can't do anything.

Will a disk copy of W10 remedy this problem or is it worse then I thought?

alanrwood 10:06 29 Mar 2017

It depends what you mean by a "disk copy". If you mean that you cloned the drive and have a complete drive image then yes it should work. How depends on what program you used to produce the cloned disk image.

Not sure what you mean by upgraded Win 7, Do you mean win 7 to win 8.1 or 10. Do you have registration codes for your version of Windows ie is it a genuine MS edition.

Is the computer a laptop or a desktop. If a laptop there is usually a hidden recovery partition which allows complete restore to factory condition. (provided you have not formatted the partition as well as the C: drive

Forbsey 10:20 29 Mar 2017

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I had a genuine clone copy that I put on the USB, i used something called 'media tool' or something like that.

When I say hard copy I mean an actual manufacturers copy. When I said upgrade I meant upgraded from W7 - W10, i own a desktop so the key I used was the one that was attached by sticker to the side of my desktop.

Apologies for being so vague, I have a bit of skill fade when it comes to discussing these issues and also I'm currently in work so I don't have 'hands on' right now but any insight will be appreciated.

alanrwood 11:01 29 Mar 2017

OK then probably your best option is to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from:

click here

The link takes you to a page where it can be downloaded onto either a DVD or a Memory stick.

You will not need your serial number as you have already logged your computer details with Microsoft's activation server when you did the original Win 10 upgrade.

Just follow the instructions at

click here

Forbsey 11:04 29 Mar 2017

Already tried that, I put it onto the a USB and booted from said USB, go trough the installion up until it tells me to remove media device and restart, I do this but it doesn't go back through the installion process it just shows me an error as if I have never done it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 29 Mar 2017

What error is it showing?

Forbsey 11:21 29 Mar 2017

I don't know it off by heart but it basically says can't find the operating system as I accidentally formatted the HD with the OS on

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:36 29 Mar 2017

Can BIOS see the hard drive where you are trying to install windows?

Forbsey 11:39 29 Mar 2017

Yes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:38 29 Mar 2017

from the USB media Boot to command prompt type diskpart /list

this will display all disks in your system with an asterisk against the disk in focus.

select (1) will change the disk in focus (to disk 1) so change if require to your operating disk.

list partition should show all partitions on the drive you need to see a system reserve partition as this is where win 10 keeps its boot files you should also see a recovery partition where the repair tools are kept and of course the c partition where windows is loaded.

Forbsey 13:06 29 Mar 2017

Fixed, thank you so much for your help. Appreciate you taking the time to sort me out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires