Formatt Hard Disk Help

Tick Tock 23:07 01 Nov 2003

I am running win98se and want to do a
formatt for the first time,i have backed up
all my computer using MS BACKUP,when i formatt
and reinstall win98se can i use this
backup job to restore all files drivers

programs updates everything as it was before.
i have put the backup on a cd-rw.

Mysticnas 23:18 01 Nov 2003

to install the drivers and such fresh again!

The files i take it you mean saved files, as in MS word files lets say? well those can be just saved back on to the hard drive. but best to install all drivers again fresh or download newer ones while you're at it.

TBH1 23:23 01 Nov 2003

you should be OK with this action - - - however, and there's always one ain't there ??? Would backup all you real important stuff, to CD, via a none-windows backup, just in case - - ie, just copy your files to CD. I have had one or two bad wxperiences with windows back-up - - - -got it to work once though when I bought a new pc with w98se on and needed to tranfer stuff from me old w95 pc. My last attempt at restore didn't work, though was ready for it.
If you were ever a Boy Scout, you will know their motto - - -Be Prepared, or am I thinkin of something else ????
Good luck to you

Tick Tock 23:41 01 Nov 2003

does msbackup not back up evrerything i mean
things like updated drivers and win98se
updates all programs etc or can you tell
me what a full backup means.

pj123 23:43 01 Nov 2003

Why do you want to format your hard drive, has something gone wrong? If so, I would go with what has been said above. Not a good idea to back up to CD/RW, a CDR would be better.

DieSse 23:53 01 Nov 2003

A backup is a copy of how it was when you did the backup. I can't see the point of reformatting and then restoring it to how it was when you did the backup????

Tick Tock 13:56 02 Nov 2003

I see what you mean reguarding backup,but
how do i backup my win98se updates to cdr
because they install automatically from
windows update and as win98se is no longer
supported i can not install them again.

DieSse 15:53 02 Nov 2003

Yes, you can install Win98 updates again - I went to the Windows update site and did one just a few days ago. Support has not stopped in the sense that nothing is available. read this direct from the MS support page click here;EN-US;w98 :-

"In accordance with the Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle, no-charge support for Windows 98 ended on July 1, 2003. Paid-only support will continue to be available from Microsoft at $35 per incident. Support will also be available from some third party providers.

Microsoft will also continue to offer a variety of self-help resources on the Product Support Services Web site until at least January 16, 2006, two years after phone support for Windows 98 ends on January 16, 2004. These resources include the Microsoft Knowledge Base and Newsgroups."

birkdalite 17:34 02 Nov 2003

If you must format your hd then after saving essentials use "Maxblast" this is a free download from Maxol it's the best thing since sliced bread!it wil format and set partitions in minutes

Tick Tock 23:39 02 Nov 2003

Thanks for the help.

LILY2003 00:32 03 Nov 2003

Please let me know which operating system do you want to load after formatting your drive I can help you and give you an easy way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires