Formating an SD card

Daiol 12:16 26 Nov 2009

Hi,Today went to format one of my SD cards and to my surprise i failed to do so.A box popped up stating:-
Windows cannot format this drive.Quit any disc utilities or other programs that are using this drive,and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the dive.Then try formating again.
Well there was nothing using the drive only the sd card and there was no window open.
Can someone please assist me here as this has never happened before.

,An update to this prob,when i insert the sd or pendrive into usb port they open up with no probs, but on screen it shows the autorun logo 'the gear wheel' that has never shown up on any pendrives or sd cards before.Does that help you.

Just one other thing regarding the autorun icon.When i try and delete it a box popps up with msg 'Cannot delete autorun: Its being used by another person or program.
Close any program that might be using the file and try again.
Thanks,daiol

Technotiger 12:35 26 Nov 2009

Have you tried formatting it within the Camera?

Daiol 12:43 26 Nov 2009

Yes its okay with camera, but that autorun icon was never there before.
Thanks.

Technotiger 12:47 26 Nov 2009

Run Ccleaner, this should get rid of anything not needed.

Daiol 12:52 26 Nov 2009

Thanks for info,Soory to say i have run ccleaner superantispyware,malwarebytes eusing reg cleaner.
Cant solve the problem,but it aint a big problem just annoying.daiol.

reply4reply 12:59 26 Nov 2009

restart the pc, inser the card into a card reader
close any application that is suspected to use the card like galleries, autoruns ect..

right click on the card in my computer
select format
tick "quick format"
done.

ened 13:03 26 Nov 2009

Since you have run all the checks try System Restore. I have found that strange things can occur, for no apparent reason, with Vista and usually a re-boot does the trick. Otherwise restore to a time before this happened.

Daiol 13:04 26 Nov 2009

Yes i have tried that method of the inserting the card and right click to format,but the box popps up ststing "Windows cannot format this drive.Quit any disc utilities or other programs that are using this drive,and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the dive.Then try formating again",Also how can i determine if any applications are running as you said galleries ,autoruns,how do i stop these running?.
Thanks.

ened 13:35 26 Nov 2009

If stuff is running when you haven't opened anything you need to look at your Start Up items.

Click Start - type MSCONFIG in the box and it should appear at the top of the start menu.

Go to the Start up tab and Disable All then click Apply, Ok etc and reboot.

woodchip 14:27 26 Nov 2009

To check for programs running right click on task bar at the bottom and then Task Manager check programs that you think are using the disc and stop them running

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 26 Nov 2009

Size of SD card?
if over 2G then its probably a high density card and can not be formatted with an older type card reader.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone