formating problem

lindamay 15:15 22 Dec 2008

Have a pc that needs c drive formating it has a hidden partition but i do not have the recovery disc drive is infected with a virus

i have a windows xp disc and have loaded that thus deleting all but the hidden partition but i cannot access i keep getting the message that i am not allowed access to many of the bits such as control panel or screen saver and that a nother program is trying to copy my hard drive

can someone give me a simple step by step way to wipe the whole drive clean

many thanks

Lindamay

Bazz2000 15:36 22 Dec 2008

When you restart the pc with the xp disc in the drive, and boot from cd, the setup program should show you all the partitions. You should just be able to delete the partition you dont want and then format the drive.
To summarize:
Make sure in your BIOS that its set to boot from cd first.
Restart your pc with xp in the drive.
Boot from cd when prompted.
This will open windows setup, it will ask a few questions then ask you where you want to install windows to and it will list all partitions. If you want a totally clean format just delete all partitions on there.
It will then format and you should be good to go

lindamay 10:15 28 Dec 2008

Thanks Bazz2000 xmas over got round to doing it followed your instructions worked perfect
Regards
Lindamay

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?