Formating help please.

whiteribbon 10:59 09 Jun 2003

Hi,
I have (for the kid's) a PC which is running sluggish,I have decided the best thing to do is start again.I have never formatted a hard drive before so i'm after what ever advise any of you can give me please on the best way to to it!!
Thanks in advance

Sandra

powerless 11:04 09 Jun 2003

What operating system is currently installed on the computer and do you have the installtion disk of the operating system?

whiteribbon 11:07 09 Jun 2003

Windows 98se.and I have a win 98 cd.

Belatucadrus 11:10 09 Jun 2003

click here for a pdf article on reformating W9X systems. Do remember to get all your driver disks ready before starting. You don't say what version of windows, but with 95 the standard boot disk doesn't recognise a CD drive as it doesn't include drivers. Download a new one from click here these include CD drivers and make things much easier. It's a bit daunting at first but well worth doing, I've just done my W98 Laptop and it's flying.

bof:) 11:13 09 Jun 2003

click here also try here.

mike

whiteribbon 13:15 10 Jun 2003

I'm now having problems reinstalling windows 98!
All I get is a: then I type in C:\\ and get the c prompt........where do I go from here please.

woodchip 13:25 10 Jun 2003

Start with the Startup Floppy disc choose start with CD-ROM support if the CD-ROM drive letter was D:\ it will now be E:\ just so you can load windows so type E:\Setup with your Win98 Disc in the CD drive press enter it will do a scandisk after which you just press X

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017