Format WD 1 TB external Drive

rawprawn 16:42 25 May 2009

How long should it take to format this to NTFS, I started at 11-30am and it has completed only 38%

ened 16:59 25 May 2009

I have just recently done a Seagate 1Tb drive and, if I remember correctly ,it took a verry long time.

So long as it is advancing I shouldn't worry about it.

Also it will get quite hot, I don't think that is anything to worry about either. It will cool fairly quickly as soon as the job is complete.

rawprawn 17:03 25 May 2009

Hi, thanks for that, I was getting a bit worried I have never formatted anything so big before, and it just seemed to be really slow.
Thanks
RP

scotty 17:04 25 May 2009

Was there a quick format option box that could be selected? Full formats do take a long time on large discs.

I have found linux a much better option when formatting or partitioning discs. You can use GParted from a linux live cd to perform these tasks (so you do not need to install linux on your pc).

rawprawn 17:22 25 May 2009

I am formatting it through Computer Management>Disk Management so you don't get the "Quick Format" option.
I have never used Linux, I must have a look at it.

Diemmess 17:49 25 May 2009

Since the disk is nearly formatted this is purely academic, but don't WD have a download which makes short work of any setup problems?

A further snag might be the download was intended to run from the download on a floppy. You may not have a floppy drive any more!

rawprawn 17:57 25 May 2009

I don't know, the WD in question belongs to a friend, and he asked me to format it for him.
You are right anyway I have no floppy drive.

Diemmess 18:18 25 May 2009

Second thoughts.
I may be talking rubbish because WD's own medicine should run from even Drive C: if it is being applied to an external drive.

I know I've only used such software when starting on a new computer where the new drive was the only one.
I get nervous using DOS type commands when there is more than one drive to consider!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone