format then no CD drive

aww 18:42 25 Aug 2003

I formatted the hard drive of an old computer ready to clean install windows. The trouble is it aint reading my CD Drive and when I got a driver downloaded from the net (no disks with the computer) it says it doesn't run on dos. It's a Samsung 3231 CD drive. I know I've messed up but does anyway have any ideas?

Cuddles 18:47 25 Aug 2003

Have you started the pc with a startup disc in the floppy drive, this should load the driver, if you do not have a disc download one from the net.

mark500 18:47 25 Aug 2003

Are you trying to install Win 95 or 98? If so use the boot floppy and start the comp with cd rom support.THen continue install.

Quiller. 18:49 25 Aug 2003

Download a win98 boot disk from here.

click here

Put it on a floppy and bootup with it. Pick the option to start with cdrom support. This should get you going.

aww 19:28 25 Aug 2003

It was 95 the machine was running but I thought about putting 98 onto it. I created a start-up disk and it loads up to dos. It can read the a and c drives but not the d. The c drive is now basically empty. I downloaded a driver from the net for the CD but it doesn't work. I tried the download a win95 & a win98 boot disk bsod but on both boot ups it says non system disk or disk error.

graham√ 19:38 25 Aug 2003

Downloaded boot discs often name the CD drive 'R'. Boot up with the boot disc in the floppy drive, you should get a DOS command A:\. Type R:, hit Enter. If you then get R:\, put the CD in and type Setup, hit Enter.

Belatucadrus 20:50 25 Aug 2003

Windows 95 boot disks don't include CD drivers, What operating system is on the PC you downloaded the new boot disks to ?

graham√ 21:06 25 Aug 2003

bsods link will give a boot disk with CD driver. Worked for me!

graham√ 21:08 25 Aug 2003

Clicked too soon! Download to the desktop, double click to unzip to a floppy. If you download to a floppy direct, it won't work!

aww 21:47 25 Aug 2003

Cheers guys I got the boot disk and unzipped on my desktop before putting it onto the floppy and now r drive is being shown

Quiller. 22:01 25 Aug 2003

Sorry forgot to say unzip first.

Anyway glad you got sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?