format then no CD drive

aww 18:42 25 Aug 2003

I formatted the hard drive of an old computer ready to clean install windows. The trouble is it aint reading my CD Drive and when I got a driver downloaded from the net (no disks with the computer) it says it doesn't run on dos. It's a Samsung 3231 CD drive. I know I've messed up but does anyway have any ideas?

Cuddles 18:47 25 Aug 2003

Have you started the pc with a startup disc in the floppy drive, this should load the driver, if you do not have a disc download one from the net.

mark500 18:47 25 Aug 2003

Are you trying to install Win 95 or 98? If so use the boot floppy and start the comp with cd rom support.THen continue install.

Quiller. 18:49 25 Aug 2003

Download a win98 boot disk from here.

click here

Put it on a floppy and bootup with it. Pick the option to start with cdrom support. This should get you going.

aww 19:28 25 Aug 2003

It was 95 the machine was running but I thought about putting 98 onto it. I created a start-up disk and it loads up to dos. It can read the a and c drives but not the d. The c drive is now basically empty. I downloaded a driver from the net for the CD but it doesn't work. I tried the download a win95 & a win98 boot disk bsod but on both boot ups it says non system disk or disk error.

graham√ 19:38 25 Aug 2003

Downloaded boot discs often name the CD drive 'R'. Boot up with the boot disc in the floppy drive, you should get a DOS command A:\. Type R:, hit Enter. If you then get R:\, put the CD in and type Setup, hit Enter.

Belatucadrus 20:50 25 Aug 2003

Windows 95 boot disks don't include CD drivers, What operating system is on the PC you downloaded the new boot disks to ?

graham√ 21:06 25 Aug 2003

bsods link will give a boot disk with CD driver. Worked for me!

graham√ 21:08 25 Aug 2003

Clicked too soon! Download to the desktop, double click to unzip to a floppy. If you download to a floppy direct, it won't work!

aww 21:47 25 Aug 2003

Cheers guys I got the boot disk and unzipped on my desktop before putting it onto the floppy and now r drive is being shown

Quiller. 22:01 25 Aug 2003

Sorry forgot to say unzip first.

Anyway glad you got sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?