Format second HDD in Windows 98SE

Spark6 16:42 02 Jan 2004

While I am waiting for info re my external enclosure problem I would like to install my spare hard drive as a slave in a spare bay.

Any instructions on how to do this, and then format it, would be appreciated.

Happy and trouble free year everyone.

Diemmess 16:54 02 Jan 2004

If there is no OS on your "spare" drive, mount it in the spare bay and fit power from unused lead.

Fit a data cable to the Secondary place on the mother board and that's it. (Or so you can hope)

If there is an OS on the "new" HD, and assume there is no data you need on it, then it is much safer to disconnect temporarily the Primary HD data cable, boot from your 98 setup floppy and at the A:> prompt run the FDISK routine. Or if there are no partitions, FORMAT - to clear this secondary drive of everything.

If you have done all this then shut down again, reconnect the Primary drive and reboot as normal.

woodchip 16:58 02 Jan 2004

What is your OS if win98 fit the drive with the jumper on the back set to Slave you should then go into bios to auto detect the drive if the comp does not recognise it to format just go into Explorer right click the drive and choose format just as you would for a floppy. Connect the drive to the Master Hard Drive Cable

Gongoozler 17:02 02 Jan 2004

Does this help click here

or this click here

Spark6 19:16 02 Jan 2004

Thanks folks.

I think the second drive has ME on it which I don't want.

Woodchip: If I follow your instructions I connect it to the same cable as the existing HDD and the floppy. Is that correct?

Djohn 19:19 02 Jan 2004

No, fit it to the same cable as your main hard drive. The floppy should be on a cable by itself.

woodchip 21:08 02 Jan 2004

The floppy is on a different cable one with a split and twist in it

Spark6 16:00 11 Jan 2004

I now have a spare 40Gb formatted HDD.

Thanks to all who contributed with their first class advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?