Format required to Reinstall Windows?

dave726587 09:09 30 Jan 2009

I have Vista installed on my computer and i want to install windows xp (boot from xp cd) without formatting. Is this possible? i remember something a long time ago when there was an option to only delete the existing installation instead of formatting the hard drive, but am i remembering this wrong?

Thanks

tullie 09:25 30 Jan 2009

Why not format and then install XP?Dont forget to download and save all the Xp drivers on a disk before you do it.

Taff™ 09:34 30 Jan 2009

You could have a dual boot system with both Vista and XP click here

I assume you have an unregistered copy of XP or a full retail copy plus the Vista Disk which you will need for this. Do read the article through carefully. Someone else may be able to provide a better or alternative tutorial.

woodchip 09:45 30 Jan 2009

All you need to do is Delete the Partitions, This should do it click here the top one is Free Remove all Partitions then Just restart with XP CD in the Drive

woodchip 09:47 30 Jan 2009

If you may want to Restore Vista at a Later Date I suggest you first buy and use Acronis True Image, and create a Image of the Vista Partition before removing it, this you need to save to another Drive

dave726587 10:11 30 Jan 2009

The reason i dont want to format is because my DVD-RW drive isnt working and i cant backup my data

woodchip 10:15 30 Jan 2009

Is it still under Warranty? also have you tried uninstalling the DVD drive from Device Manager and restart your computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?