format and reinstall computer

mahalo 16:20 27 Feb 2008

Hello there, I wish to pass on my current computer, so I need to empty it out before I do so, would you know of an easy way to this or is there a program I can use to do it for me ?.
Comet say they can do it by using a disk, but it's quite expensive.
Please bear in mind that I am a silver surfer so anything too technical is a worry to me. Your help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 27 Feb 2008

Do you have the XP CD to got with the machine?
Is it a full disk or recovery disk?

What make model of PC?

Terry Brown 16:39 27 Feb 2008

Go to bootdisk.com and download the boot disk for winme.
Set the machine to boot from floppy (If you do not have a floppy drive, send me an email and I will create an ISO boot disk you can burn to CD).
From the prompt type in FDISK.
Select option 3 (delete)and you will be given a choice of actions, generally start with option 4 (non-dos disks), then 3,2,1.
You will have to return to option 3 every time to do this.
If you have MAXTOR Hard drives I have a program that will delete every bit of your data with NO chance of recovery. let me know.
P.S. I am also a silver surfer,, thee is a lot of us about.
Terry

Gongoozler 16:39 27 Feb 2008

Are you intending to pass it on to someone in your family who you can trust not to undelete data? Are you intending to leave Windows installed on it?

stylehurst 17:04 27 Feb 2008

There is a program, which can be downloaded from the Internet called KILLDISK.
This program can be run from a floppy disk & will completely erase the contents of a Hard Disk including the operating system.

mahalo 19:21 27 Feb 2008

My comuter is an HP160uk,
Windows XP, service pack 1.
No I haven't got the disk, but I did make a set of recovery disks from the partition disk,Yes Terry I have a foppy disk drive.Gongoozler, I am passing it on to a neighbour's boys, so I don't want them to be able to undelete anything, but I hope to hand it over with windows etc on as I doubt the will have programs etc.Stylehurst, if I were to use KILLDISk, would I be able to use the recovery disks to reinstall the system ?.
I hope I have replied Ok, thank you for your speedy replies, hope to hear from you again. Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 27 Feb 2008

Delete any sensative files with something like Eraser click here

Then use the recovery disks to return the PC to its factory settings.
This will usually format the drive and reinstll an image.
this should be sufficent to protect yourself before handing over the PC.

mahalo 20:34 27 Feb 2008

Sorry about this, Fruit Bat, but which Eraser would I use ?.
I am going to study all your replies tomorrow, I am terrified I have a disaster by doing this,
cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 27 Feb 2008

click here

to downlaod eraser install and use it to delete any photo documents etc. you do not nat others to see

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?